Lakehead International Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

About FAQs

Lakehead University International (LUI) understands our students can be overwhelmed to study in another country, so please check out our answers below to the most common questions about studying in Canada and at Lakehead University!

We are here for you!

LAKEHEAD International Orientation Picture






Health Insurance

What is the difference between University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) and the Lakehead Health and Dental Plan?

There are two different types of health plans for Lakehead University International Students:

  • Main – UHIP: All International Students are billed and enrolled for UHIP and it covers eligible medically necessary health services and medical treatments. Essentially, when you see a doctor, go to a hospital, or do a medical test, you use UHIP.

  • Extended – LUSU Health and Dental Plan cover prescription drug or medication, vision, dental etc. Essentially, when you buy medicine, see a dentist, take eye exams, or have to buy glasses, you use your WeSpeakStudent.

Check out our Health Insurance and Student Health & Wellness Support for more details!

Where can I get my UHIP card?

All International Students have generally enrolled automatically at the beginning of the term. To find your UHIP card, you should receive an email from Cowan Insurance Group to your Lakehead email with the instructions. If you have not seen that email by the beginning of the term, please check your “Junk Mail” folder. If you have not seen it either, please email

  • You will not receive a physical card, but if you want a physical one, we suggest you print it out and have it laminated to avoid water damage!

Check out our Health Insurance and Student Health & Wellness Support for more details!

What is the coverage of the UHIP or LUSU Health and Dental Plan?

Check out our Health Insurance and Student Health & Wellness Support for more details! 

How do I know if I get covered under UHIP and LUSU Health and Dental Plan?

UHIP balance will automatically be charged to student accounts.

However, for LUSU Health and Dental Plan balance, Only Full Time Undergraduate Students will be automatically charged to student accounts. All part-time and graduate students will need to opt in before September 30 (Fall Start Students) and January 30 (Winter Start Students).

If you have any inquiries about UHIP, please email or visit:



If you have any inquiries about LUSU Health and Dental Plan, please email or visit:



Check out our Health Insurance and Student Health & Wellness Support for more details!

I am an Academic English Program (AEP)/ Exchange (Global ME) Student, what kind of Health Insurance I will be covered by?

Academic English Program (AEP) and Exchange (Global ME) students are automatically enrolled in Guard.Me.  You can contact if you have questions.

Check out our Health Insurance and Student Health & Wellness Support for more details!

Do I need to show my UHIP card to the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) if I am travelling to Canada?

It is not a mandatory requirement to present your UHIp card to CBSA when you arrive at the border. If you don’t receive your card prior to your departure, you can show the Health Insurance and Student Health & Wellness Support website in case the CBSA Officer asks.

To best prepare for your upcoming travel, please refer to our Before You Travel to learn more.

Can I add my family members to UHIP?

Yes, you can add your dependents to UHIP but only if they are eligible. 

A dependent must be:

  • A legal, common-law spouse who is living with the eligible student. Your common-law relationship must have existed for at least 12 months.
  • A dependent child as defined by UHIP.

If members of your family are considered dependents, please see our Health Insurance and Student Health & Wellness Support for more details on how to enroll them.

What is the process to terminate my UHIP?

If you wish to terminate your UHIP and get a refund, you must make a request by contacting 

Before March 1st:

  • You withdraw from your program

  • You complete your program early

  • You leave Canada for an uncertain period

  • You become eligible for OHIP coverage

  • You get a UHIP exemption

You cannot get a refund for:

  • Scheduled breaks between terms, if this is the only period you’re applying for a refund.

  • After March 1 of each academic year (except if you have OHIP or you are approved for an exemption).

Check out our Health Insurance and Student Health & Wellness Support for more details!

How can I avoid myself to pay out of my pocket for my medical expenses when using UHIP?

We recommend our student to visit a Preferred Provider who will bill the insurer directly for payment and you can avoid out-of-pocket expenses. Preferred Providers – Clinics/ Hospitals/ Labs/ Student Health Services in both Thunder Bay and Orillia

  • It is preferable to have a printed copy of a UHIP card with you, clinics and hospitals may not accept an electronic copy on your phone.
  • If you can’t show your printed UHIP card or the clinic is not a preferred provider, you can still go there. But you may be billed that day, or later, for the services provided and will have to file your claim for reimbursements.
  • You can submit your claim (if eligible) with your extended health insurance such as LUSU Health and Dental Plan.

Check out our Health Insurance and Student Health & Wellness Support for more details!


Where and when can I register for on-campus residence?

To learn about the application process and important deadlines, please visit Lakehead University Residence & Housing.

Who should I contact if I have more questions about on-campus residence?

You can visit Lakehead University Residence & Housing by choosing your school campus location and following the instructions stated on their webpage.

You can also visit Lakehead University Residence & Housing FAQ webpage.

New Student Transition

How to apply for my Student ID card?

As a Lakehead University New Student, you can apply your Student ID on your MyInfo or visit Lakehead Library if you are physically present at Lakehead University.

Please visit the Student Card Online Application page to know more details.

How to get my bus pass (U-pass)?

You must have your physical student ID to get your U-Pass and visit the LUSU office based on your campus location.

Thunder Bay (SC 0001)

Orillia (OA1027)

How can I set up a SIM Card or Canadian Phone Number?

You may visit the nearest Telecommunication Company Kiosk to set up a Canadian Phone Number or SIM Card. Please remember to bring your Passport, Study Permit and Social Insurance Number (SIN) (for the postpaid plan) before you visit.

How can I set up a Canadian Bank Account?

There are 5 major banks in Canada: RBC, TD, Scotia, CIBC, and BMO.

You can make an appointment or visit them in person. Please remember to bring your Passport, study permit and Social Insurance Number (SIN) (optional) the setting up a bank account.

**There is RBC at our Thunder Bay Campus (in front of the main cafeteria), so you can check them out in person and you also can make inquiries with RBC bank advisors there.

How can I join a student club or society?

Student Clubs and Societies are the cornerstones of student life at LU. Whether you're interested in sports, movies, video games, politics, or academics, a club exists to fill your need to broaden your ways of thinking and doing. Almost anyone can join any club on campus, and it takes only a bit of effort to start one yourself!

Check out the LUSU Clubs & Societies page for more details.

Vaccinations & COVID-19

I have questions regarding masking and COVID-19 vaccination, where can I find the details?

Lakehead University ensures all our university community is safe. All information and health protocols will be posted on Lakehead University COVID-19: Updates, Resources and Information page. Please visit for more details.

How can I convert my vaccination record outside Canada to Ontario Vaccine Passport?

Given the changing nature of the pandemic, vaccine passports may or may not be required to access public spaces in various parts of Canada. We encourage anyone who received a COVID-19 vaccination outside of Ontario to have their vaccinations entered into the Ontario system so that you can download and complete the Province of Ontario's COVID-19 enhanced vaccination passport if desired. Only local health units can upload proof of vaccination; pharmacies and doctor’s offices are unable to upload foreign credentials. 

Students in Thunder Bay should contact to have their vaccine information uploaded.

Students in Orillia or Barrie should fill out the form found here (note this link only works once you are in Ontario).

Identification Document

If there is any Identification Card (ID) in Ontario or Canada that International Students can get to avoid the risk of loss of their passport?

Lakehead University understands that international students need identification in everyday life and often, they do not have a license or other form of identification that is safe to carry around with them (e.g., it creates the risk to lose your passport when carrying with you all times).

There are two types of recommendations for our international students to apply for

1. Ontario Photo Card

An Ontario Photo Card is a wallet-sized card that provides government-issued identification to those Ontarians who do not have a driver’s licence, making it easier to do things such as open a bank account and any other activities that require official identification. You can learn more about it here.

You can apply for an Ontario Photo Card in person at a Service Ontario location near you. Check here to find a location near you.

2. Ontario Driver's License

If you met the eligibility to apply for Ontario Driver's License  or you want to know more details, please visit Ontario Driver's License website to understand the terms and conditions. 

What is the International Student Identification Card (ISIC) and is it an official identification card in Canada?

International Student Identification Card (ISIC) is for both international and domestic students, and it is a card that can get you access to discounts in Canada!

ISIC is NOT an official form of ID,  therefore, you are still required to have an official identification document with you.

Program & Courses

What is MyCourselink (D2L) and how can I find it?

MyCourselink (Brightspace by Desire2Learn) is the learning management system that instructors at Lakehead University use for online courses, online content, and blending-learning classes. Therefore, it is the platform for all of our students to communicate with professors and their peers and access the course outline, course materials, assignments and exams. 

You can access your MyCourselink  through your MyInfo.

Where to find and buy my textbooks or course material?

Textbooks or course material can be found at Lakehead Bookstore

If you have any questions about the textbooks or course material requirements for your courses, it is best to contact the instructor of your course directly.

I am confused about the terms (acronym) on my program outline, how can I understand it?

Within your Program Requirements, you may come across different terms. It is critical that you understand and follow these terms so there are no surprises down the road when it is time to graduate.  Please click here for more details

How can I understand if my course is in-person or online?

As we prepare for the start of the 2022/23 academic year, we are excited to return to our campuses with our signature small class size experiences delivered on-campus, the return of our hands-on experiential learning opportunities, as well as hybrid course offerings and a mix of online and Zoom courses.

Some of your courses may be on-campus while others may be online. For each course, take a look at the "Method" column to understand what to expect. You can click on the "Method" to learn more about it but here’s a quick summary!

On-Campus Courses – to be delivered on-campus
Lecture (LEC)
Laboratory (LAB)
Performance (PER)
Practicum (PRA)
Research (RES)
Video Conference (VID)
Seminar (SEM)
Tutorial (TUT)

Online Courses – to be delivered online or remotely
Web-Based (WEB)
Zoom (ZOM)

How can I know when the school starts or term breaks and other important dates such as the last day to register or drop courses?

Students are responsible for being familiar with and adhering to published dates and deadlines. Important deadlines include the Academic Schedule of Dates such as the start and end of classes, the last date to register and withdrawal, etc. Other dates include examination dates, Convocation, and others.

Check out Lakehead University Important Dates for more details!

How many FCE (credits) should I register for the first academic term or per academic year?

You must be a full-time student as an International Student in Canada.

For Undergraduate Students: You must register 2.0 FCEs for the first term and you must register at least 3.75 FCEs per academic year (Fall and Winter).

For Graduate Students:  You must register at least one course in every term (Fall, Winter, and Spring and Summer) to be full-time. 

How can I apply for my official transcripts or any special letters?

You can apply your official transcripts or any special letters that you needed for through your MyInfo.

If you have further inquiries, please visit Student Central for more information.

How do I register for classes?

For help with registration, please refer to our Registration Guide.

You can begin to plan your courses using the pre-registration planner on MyInfo under the ‘Student’ tab. Once registration is open and you have planned your courses, you can click the 'proceed to course registration' button at the top of the pre-registration planner. You will be brought to the course registration screen to register for the courses that you have pre-planned.

You may also find the following links helpful when registering for courses:

How can I change my program?

If you are trying to decide what program is for you or whether or not you should change your focus of study, we're here to help.  You may wish to speak to a Student Central Professional about your options, program requirements, and next steps.

Before submitting your Request a Change to My Program (Undergraduate or Graduate) form, take time to explore the different program options available along with the way in which any completed credits you may have fit into that new program. It is also important to check that you meet admission requirements including Program-Specific Prerequisite courses and are eligible for entry into the program you wish to transfer into. Please refer to the online Calendar for academic regulation information. 

Please visit here for more information.

How can I withdraw from my program and what are the options?

As a student at Lakehead University, there are certain responsibilities associated with registering for classes. These responsibilities include dropping courses that you intend not to complete. In general, there are three withdrawal options:

  1. Withdrawal from a course without Academic Penalty
  2. Self-Late Withdrawal
  3. Petition for Late Withdrawal

For detailed regulations surrounding Withdrawals, see section X Withdrawals, under the Regulations section of the Academic Calendar.NOTE: A Late Withdrawal (Self-Late Withdrawal or Petition for Late Withdrawal) will be allowed only once in a course. 

Please visit here for more information.

School Fees and Payments

How to pay my school fees?

1. PayMyTuition

Lakehead University has partnered with PayMyTuition for international and domestic tuition payments. With PayMyTuition, international students can make tuition payments from any bank, in any country in any currency at better-than-bank exchange rates. 


2.  Use Convera (formerly Western Union's GlobalPay)

  •  Pay fees in your local currency, online, or by bank transfer

  •  Easy to use on smartphones and other mobile devices

  •  Avoid fees and international foreign exchange charges from your bank

  •  Rest assured knowing your payments are received in full by Lakehead University

  • Track your payment status by text and email

  •  Get price and payment options upfront with a price comparison tool


3. Online Banking: Only for Canadian Banking Institutions

  • To make a payment via online banking:

  • Log onto your online Canadian banking website (ie TD Canada Trust, Scotiabank, CIBC, RBC, etc)

  • Select the "Pay a Bill" option

  • Add "Lakehead University" as the Payee/Company Name

  • Enter your student number (include the 0) as the Account Number

  • Make the payment!


4. Money Orders and Bank Drafts 

  • Payable to Lakehead University (include Student Number on the front)

  • Mail to: Lakehead University, 955 Oliver Road, Thunder Bay ON P7B 5E1, ATTN: Accounts Receivable


5. Cash

Canadian or U.S. funds only by visiting the Accounts office in room UC0002 at Thunder Bay Campus


6. Graduate Assistantship (GA): Master and Ph.D. Students only

To have a graduate assistantship (GA) assigned to pay fees:

  • Pick up your Graduate Funding Form from Graduate Studies in RC0009

  • Bring the form to the Accounts office in UC0002 at the Thunder Bay campus

  • Graduate students will be required to sign a Payroll Deduction Authorization Form at the Accounts office

  • If the funding does not cover the fees in full, the student must pay the difference by the payment due dates


7. Scholarships, Bursaries, Awards, and Graduate Awards

  • Scholarships, bursaries, and awards are first applied to any outstanding balance on the student account

  • Refunds will be issued by direct deposit to the student's bank account entered online through myInfo only when the student account has a credit balance.

  • Questions regarding Undergraduate Scholarships, Bursaries, and Awards should be directed to Student Central at  

  • Questions regarding Graduate Scholarships, Bursaries, and Awards should be directed to the Faculty of Graduate Studies at 


8. Sponsorship

Sponsored students should visit Sponsorships for more information

 Where is the payment that I have already sent?

A confirmation email will be sent to your Lakehead email address once we receive your funds in our bank. Students are encouraged to check "My Statement of Account" under the "My Financial Profile" menu of myInfo. Here you may also print a copy of your Statement.

Further questions can be directed to:

How do I request a receipt?

Receipts are automatically issued once the payment has been processed to your student account. 

If you need to request a receipt, please e-mail:

To view your payment on your Statement of Account:
1. Log onto myInfo
2. Select the "Applicant" or "Student" tab 
3. Under "My Financial Profile", select "My Account Details" or "My Statement of Account"

Why is my payment not on my student account?

Please see approximate processing times for different payment methods listed below:

Global Pay (Western Union): 2-5 Business Days

Online Banking (Canadian Bank Account only): 1-2 business days

Electronic Transfer (Bank Wire): 2 weeks 

Please note that receipts are automatically issued once the payment has been processed to the student account.

You may also wish to view the Statement of Account available online through myInfo

How much do I owe?

Please visit the Schedule of Academic Fees for a listing of Tuition and Compulsory fees according to your program and year level.

What are Lakehead University's electronic transfer bank details?

Lakehead University does not provide electronic transfer bank details for student payments. To process payment by electronic transfer, please use Western Union's GlobalPay for Students. Western Union, a specialist in global business payments, provides you with a simple and low-cost method of paying fees to Lakehead University in your own currency. 

Please visit Western Union's GlobalPay for Students for instructions.  




I have more questions about my school account, where should I get help from?

You can visit Lakehead University Tuition Fees: International Student Information page for more details.

Wellness and Recreation

Does Lakehead University have Health Services on campus?

Yes, Lakehead University is committed to supporting Lakehead students to maintain their health while balancing the demands of student life. The Student Health and Wellness Centre (SHWC) has many resources available to help students make educated decisions when it comes to their own health. Check out WellU and Staying Healthy for more information on health and wellness topics.

On-Campus Services

Student Health and Wellness also aims to provide convenient, confidential and comprehensive medical care to Lakehead University students. Learn more about the services offered on our campuses. 

A current Lakehead University student card is required to be seen for medical services. A student must also have proof of valid provincial or international health insurance.

If you or someone you know is in Crisis, what should I do?

If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, call 9-1-1.

  • For Thunder Bay Campus security, call 807-343-8911.

  • For Orillia Campus Security, call 705-330-4008 ext. 3912 

If you or someone you know is dealing with emotional distress

  • Crisis Response Services is a 24/7 crisis line staffed by the Canadian Mental Health Association

Thunder Bay- 807-346-8282

Orillia- 705-728-5044

  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255

  • Suicide Hotlines Across the World 

  • GOOD2TALK post-secondary crisis line- 1-866-925-5454

  • Crisis Text Line powered by Kids Help Phone- a free, confidential texting service, available 24/7/365. By texting GOOD2TALKON to 686868, post-secondary students in Ontario can be connected to a trained volunteer Crisis Responder who is there to listen and support students with any issue they’re facing.

  • Crisis Service Canada:

  • Trans Lifeline: 1-(877) 330-6366

How to make an appointment with on-campus health services?

For Thunder Bay Campus:

Counsellors are available Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m, appointments can be in-person, by phone or over zoom depending on your preference. We also have a small number of appointments available on Wednesday evening and Saturday afternoon, these appointments are only offered by phone or zoom. 

To make an appointment with a counsellor you can call 807-343-8361 or email and leave your full name, student number & phone number, someone will get back to you during our regular business hours. Do not email your personal health information.

Please note an appointment is only confirmed if you have spoken to someone directly.

Please visit here for more details

For Orillia Campus:

To request an appointment: Login into MySuccess 

  • Login in to MySuccess
  • Click Submit form - Orillia Student Wellness Requests
  • Fill out the request
  • Click Submit

Your request is private and confidential and only someone from Student Health and Wellness will be accessing these requests. 
All requests are checked Monday - Friday from 8:30 am - 4:30 pm. 

Please note an appointment is only confirmed if you have spoken to someone directly 

Please visit here for more details

Does Lakehead University Thunder Bay Campus have gym facilities on campus?

Yes, Lakehead University Athletics Centre (Thunder Bay) is comprised of 3 facilities that are all interconnected:

Wolf Den
The new edition includes the centre's new entrance, gymnasium, weight room, cardio room, lounge areas and access to the rest of the facilities.

C.J. Sanders Fieldhouse
Thunderdome gymnasium, weight room, 50-metre eight-lane swimming pool, cardio room, outdoor sports fields, beach volleyball courts, Kinesiology labs, High-Performance Hockey Training Centre and change rooms complete with showers and saunas.

Astroturf field, cardio and weight areas, aerobics room and the Thunderwolves Wall of Fame.

Please call the front desk at (807) 343-8585 or email for more details.

What are the Lakehead Athletics (Thunder Bay) facility hours?

You can click here for more details about the Lakehead Athletics Facility and Open Swin Lane Hours.

How do I know if got the Lakehead Athletics (Thunder Bay) memberships as a student?

All Lakehead students who are registered in courses at the Thunder Bay campus receive a membership to our athletics facilities as part of their University fees.

You can click here for more details


I have trouble accessing MyInfo, what should I do?

If you are an applicant and you cannot access your myInfo account, please select one of the following account recovery options:

I received my Acknowledgement Email, but I cannot access myInfo.

I have not received my Acknowledgement Email. 

Do I get free access to Microsoft Office 365 as a student?

Yes, Microsoft Office 365 is available to all current employees and students free of charge. This includes the full Office suite of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and more.

As long as you’re a student here, you’ll be able to use this software.

To access Office 365:

  1. For PC and Mac:
    1. Visit the Office website
    2. Sign in using your Lakehead credentials (including

If you have trouble installing Office, this guide may resolve your issue. 

Offline use information can be found here.

How do I connect to the University's Printer?

You may access your PaperCut printing account by logging in with your Lakehead Univesity username and password. Please note that you must have a positive balance to print.

Printers can be accessed by swiping your student card and entering a PIN. Please click here for instructions on how to create or reset your PIN.

All on-campus student computers are able to print to Lakehead printers by using the monochrome or coloured printer options which are configured on these computers by default.

Where do I deposit money for computer printing, and what is the Cost?

You can add money to your printing account at three locations on the Thunder Bay campus:

  • The Chancellor Paterson Library (Circulation Desk)

  • The Education Library (Bora Laskin)

  • The Law Library (PACI) - Debit or Credit Cards only, no cash

You can add money online through your Papercut account as well.  Once logged in select Add Credit, choose the amount to add and then fill in your payment information.

NOTE: Unused printing credits cannot be refunded, but may be transferred to another account. Print balance will carry forward to following terms if not used in the current term.


For Orillia students, please see the Orillia Printing page for more information on printing at the Orillia campus.

Where can I find a printer on the Thunder Bay Campus?

In addition to printing, the Print Shop is located in RB 0001, and provides a variety of services for your printing, binding and lamination needs. Please visit the Print Shop page.

Xerox Monochrome Multi-function Devices
Features: Legal(8.5"x14"), Letter(8.5"x11"), Tabloid(11"x17"), Duplex, Copy, Scan to Email

  • ATAC 3rd Floor
  • ATAC 5th Floor
  • Bora Laskin Education Library
  • Library Main Floor
  • Library 4th Floor
  • CJ Saunders Fieldhouse
  • PACI Law Library
  • Music and Visual Arts Lobby

Xerox Colour Multi-function Devices
Features: Legal(8.5"x14"), Letter(8.5"x11"), Tabloid(11"x17"), Duplex, Copy, Scan to Email, Colour printing

  • ATAC 3rd Floor
  • Bora Laskin Education Library
  • Library Main Floor
How can I connect to LakeheadU wifi?

You must visit this website for more details.


IRCC Account

How do I open an IRCC account?

Please visit IRCC Website to open an IRCC account. This is used for temporary or permanent residence applications in Canada.

I’m having trouble with my IRCC account, what should I do?

If you forgot your username or password, you can reset your password or recreate a new GCKey. For more information, please see it here:

If you are experiencing other problems, you might need to reset your browser. Please see it here:

Studying In Canada

I have recently been accepted by Lakehead University. How do I apply for my initial study permit?

Congratulations on your admission to Lakehead University! An initial study permit can be applied for online through an IRCC account. For more information, please see it here.

I have waited for my study permit for a long time and my program is starting soon. Is there a way to ask IRCC whereabouts my application is? Can you ask IRCC to prioritize my application?

IRCC provides the average processing time here. We cannot communicate with IRCC on behalf of your study permit application or request them for prioritized processing. If you have waited beyond the average time, you can send an inquiry to the IRCC Web Form here.

My study permit does not have any remarks about working. How do I fix this?

You can apply online for a change of study permit if you finished your language studies and now want to work off-campus, or if these details are missing from your permit.

If there is an error on the permit or you need to have the remarks revised, you must submit an application for an amendment to the landing record. You can find the application and requirements online here or schedule an appointment with us.

What’s the most important thing about immigration as an international student in Canada?

As a temporary resident in Canada on a study permit, you must be actively pursuing your studies. This is a condition that all study permit holders must comply with while they stay in Canada.

If you are interested in working while studying, or applying for a Post Graduation Work Permit afterwards, you also need to be enrolled full-time continuously. If you drop to part-time status, this will be reported to IRCC and can affect your future study permit extensions or even post-graduate work permit applications.

I lost my study permit, what should I do?

If you have lost your study permit, provided that you are still holding a valid passport, you can apply for a Replacement of an Immigration Document by following the steps here.

If your passport is also lost or stolen, you must replace it first before you can replace your study permit. You might also need to apply for a new Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) if you had one before.

How do I apply for a study permit extension? What if my current study permit expires when I’m waiting for the new permit?

Study permit extensions can be done online in Canada through your IRCC account and are recommended to start 2 – 3 months before your current study permit expires. To start, you need to request a Confirmation of Enrollment for international students from Lakehead University. This can be done through your MyInfo account  - Academic Profile – Request a Special Letter. You can then follow the instruction guide here to prepare your application. Should you have any questions during the process or would like to have a final review before the submission, please schedule an appointment with us.

Will my TRV be automatically renewed if I extend my study permit?

No. After you extend your permit, you will likely want to renew your travel visa (sticker inside your passport). You can follow the instruction guide here to complete the process. The TRV extension is also done through your IRCC online account, and once approved you will be required to send your passport to the processing centre in Ottawa for the new stamping. Please note, TRV is an important travel document and you cannot enter Canada without it even if you are holding a valid study/work permit.

Working In Canada

My program has a co-op component. How do I apply for a co-op work permit? When should I start it?

To apply for a co-op work permit, you need to obtain a Coop Authorization Letter from Lakehead University first. This is an official letter proving that you are ready to start your co-op term. Please follow the steps below to apply for your co-op term:

1. All co-op program eligibility requirements are listed here. In order to ensure you are eligible for a co-op work term, please review your program-specific eligibility requirements.

2. To check when you can take a co-op work term, please review the “Co-op Work Term Sequence chart.” Each program has a different timeline for when they allow co-op work terms throughout the year. 

3. To learn about how to apply for a co-op work term, including application deadlines, please review the “How to Apply” instructions. 

Once you obtained the Co-op Authorization Letter, you can then follow the instruction guide here to complete your Co-op Work Permit application. As the processing time may take up to 4 months, we encourage you to start the application as soon as you can.

Is my program eligible for a Post Graduate Work Permit? How long will my PGWP be?

To be eligible for a Post Graduate Work Permit, the applicant must complete a credential-leading program that is at least 8 months in duration at an eligible institution (like Lakehead University) in Canada. You also need to maintain full-time student status during your program of study and apply for your PGWP within 180 days after you finish your program. The length of your PGWP depends on your program length. Usually, your PGWP will be the same length if you finish a program that is between 8 months to 2 years. Masters students who complete their degree in 16 months with no scheduled breaks are eligible for a 3-year PGWP.

For more information, please see it here.

I have recently graduated, can I start working right away?

After you finish your final semester you are able to work 20 hours per week off-campus until you receive your proof of graduation. Once Lakehead releases your graduation document, you must apply for the post-graduate work permit right away while your study permit is still valid. As soon as you apply for the post-graduate work permit, you will have a ‘maintained status’ and can work full-time while waiting for the approval. More information can be found here.

I don’t want to continue my studies at Lakehead University anymore. How does that affect my immigration?

If you decide to transfer to another school, make sure it’s also a designated learning institution in Canada. Then you’ll need to inform IRCC about this change. You do not need to change or reapply for your study permit unless it’s expiring soon. You cannot continue working in Canada until you start your new studies.

If you will no longer study in Canada, your study permit will become invalid after 90 days. You should either change your status to a visitor in Canada or leave the country. More information is available here.

Inviting Family Members to Canada

Can my family come to Canada with me?

Yes, your family can travel to Canada with you. Your spouse is eligible to visit, study or work while you are studying in Canada, and your children are able to attend both the Lakehead Public School Board and Lakehead Catholic School Board institutions at no cost.

I would like to invite my family to Canada. Does Lakehead University provide an invitation letter? What if I want my parents to attend the Convocation?

No. Lakehead University does not provide an invitation letter for your family to visit you while studying (or during graduation) in Canada. We encourage you to prepare the invitation letter. Please visit: to see what details should be included.

Along with this invitation letter, we recommend including a copy of your study permit, passport front page and a copy of your transcript and/or enrollment verification letter to show your progress and continuous enrolment. If you are graduating, you can show your intent to graduate by email as well.

Other Resources

I want to visit the United States while studying in Canada.

Students wanting to visit the US while studying in Canada must apply for a US tourist visa. You must complete the online application, gather the required documents and schedule an interview with the US embassy in either Toronto or Ottawa. For more information please visit

I need to renew my passport in Canada.

Renewing your passport in Canada can be different depending on the procedure for your country of residence. Please contact your embassy, consulate, or high commission in Canada to find out the procedure. The information is typically provided on the website. Some countries such as India, have companies like BLS that provide passport renewal services. 

Once you have received the new passport, please schedule an appointment with the International Student Advisors, RCIC on-campus to renew the travel visa and necessary permits.

How can I obtain a medical exam for immigration?

To find a panel physician near you, please visit

Where can I have the documents notarized?

Items can be notarized by lawyers and commissioners of the oath; however, it is important to review the requirements for your document. Here is a list of places with signing authority; however you must schedule an appointment in advance. 

Thunder Bay Multicultural Association: 807 345-0551 

Thunder Bay City Hall: 807 625-2230

Thunder Bay Police Services: 807 684-1200

You also can connect with a lawyer in Thunder Bay for this service however there will likely be a fee for service.

I want to apply for Permanent Residence. Does the university help me apply or have any information?

Although Lakehead University International provides general information and presentations from IRCC on pathways to permanent residence, we do not assist with this application. We will guide you through applying for the post-graduate work permit and renewing the travel visa as well, but you must connect with an immigration consultant or lawyer for assistance on any PR applications. However, most students prefer to apply themselves as the process is simple and similar to other Canadian immigration applications.

For previous information and presentations on permanent residence, please explore it here.

For information regarding Express Entry (a Federal program for Permanent Residence) please visit it here. The application is submitted online through your IRCC account.

For information regarding Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (Provincial Nominee Program) please visit it here. You can only submit your application when they open the stream and this is submitted through a different online system. We also encourage students to research what other provinces may be offering, as the Provincial Nominee Programs vary from province to province depending on demand.

Again, our university does not assist with these applications or inquiries. You can complete these applications independently or hire a professional.

How can I book an appointment for more help?

You can connect with one of our International Student Advisors by booking an appointment on our website.