All students are expected to read and abide by the financial policies of the university.
- Schedule of Academic Fees for Tuition & Compulsory fees listed according to your program and year level. Please note that UHIP (University Health Insurance Plan) is mandatory for all international students and must be paid with your first installment. For information about International fees including UHIP, please Contact Chris Gallinger, International Accounts Officer at 807-343-8917 or email email@example.com.
- Payment Due Dates
- Refund Schedule
We also recommend:
- Regularly checking your Lakehead University e-mail
- Making payments according to the deadline dates to avoid late fees
- Visiting myInfo regularly for important messages
Frequently Asked Questions:
|How much do I owe?|
|Please visit the Schedule of Academic Fees for a listing of Tuition and Compulsory fees according to your program and year level.|
|How can I pay my tuition fees?|
|1. Electronic Transfer: Use Global Pay for Students|
- Pay in your home currency!
- Cost effective and timely!
- Global Pay is provided by Western Union Business Solutions, not to be confused with Western Union Retail (locations found in grocery/convenience stores)
- Please note: Lakehead University does not provide electronic transfer bank details for student payments. Please use Global Pay for Students
2. Online Banking: Only for Canadian Banking Institutions
To make a payment via online banking:
- Log onto your online Canadian banking website (ie TD Canada Trust, Scotiabank, CIBC, RBC, etc)
- Select the "Pay a Bill" option
- Add "Lakehead University" as the Payee/Company Name
- Enter your student number (include the 0) as the Account Number
- Make the payment!
3. Money Orders and Bank Drafts
- Payable to Lakehead University (include Student Number on front)
- Mail to: Lakehead University, 955 Oliver Road, Thunder Bay ON P7B 5E1, ATTN: Accounts Receivable
- Canadian or U.S. funds only by visiting the Accounts office in room UC0002 at Thunder Bay Campus
5. Graduate Assistantship (GA): Master and PhD Students only
To have a graduate assistantship (GA) assigned to pay fees:
- Pick up your Graduate Funding Form from Graduate Studies in RC0009
- Bring the form to the Accounts office in UC0002 at the Thunder Bay campus
- Graduate students will be required to sign a Payroll Deduction Authorization Form at the Accounts office
- If the funding does not cover the fees in full, the student must pay the difference by the payment due dates
6. Scholarships, Bursaries, Awards, and Graduate Awards
- Scholarships, bursaries, and awards are first applied to any outstanding balance on the student account
- Refunds will be issued by direct deposit to the student's bank account entered online through myInfo only when the student account has a credit balance.
- Questions regarding Undergraduate Scholarships, Bursaries, and Awards should be directed to Student Central at firstname.lastname@example.org or (807)343-8206
- Questions regarding Graduate Scholarships, Bursaries, and Awards should be directed to the Faculty of Graduate Studies at email@example.com or (807)343-8785
- Sponsored students should visit Sponsorships for more information
|What are Lakehead University's electronic transfer bank details?|
|To process a payment by electronic transfer, please use Global Pay. |
Lakehead University does not provide electronic transfer bank details for student payments.Please see "How can I pay my tuition fees" above for a complete listing of payment methods and Global Pay instructions.
|What is UHIP?|
|Every International and Exchange students must be enrolled in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). There is a fee for this insurance plan which will be automatically billed to your student account upon registration and is due with your first installment. All charges and payments processed to a student account can be viewed on the Statement of Account available online through myInfo.|
Most of the Health Clinics in Thunder Bay and in Canada will accept your UHIP and will directly charge to your insruance. However, in some cases you may be required to pay upfront, and then fill out a UHIP Claim Form to get a reimbursement of your amount. Please refer to the UHIP website for more information.
|How do I register for my UHIP card?|
|New UHIP Members|
1. Register online at mysunlife.ca
2. Log into mysunlife.ca to print your coverage card
3. Once you are registered for mysunlife.ca, you can access your coverage card on your smart phone!
Returning UHIP Members
1. Log into mysunlife.ca to print your coverage card
2. You can access your coverage card on your smart phone!
Please visit the UHIP website for step-by-step instructions and tutorials on how to register, how to print your coverage card, and/or how to access mysunlife mobile.
|What is Guard Me?|
|Every English Language Centre student must be enrolled in the Guard Me More plan, which is temporary international health insurance. There is a fee for this insurance plan which will be automatically billed to your student account upon registration and is due with your English Language Centre payment. All charges and payments processed to a student account can be viewed on the Statement of Account available online through myInfo.|
Please note that all of the Health Clinics in Thunder Bay and in Canada will accept your Guard Me More Insurance but will require you to pay upfront. For more information or assistance regarding claims please contact the English Language Centre.
|How do I obtain my Guard Me card?|
|Your Guard Me More card will be available for pick up at the English Language Centre.|
|Why is my payment not on my student account?|
Please see approximate processing times for different payment methods listed below:
Global Pay (Western Union): 2-5 Business Days
Online Banking (Canadian Bank Account only): 1-2 business days
Electronic Transfer (Bank Wire): 2 weeks
Please note that receipts are automatically issued once the payment has been processed to the student account.
You may also wish to view the Statement of Account available online through myInfo.
|How do I request a receipt?|
Receipts are automatically issued once the payment has been processed to your student account.
If you need to request a receipt, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
|What am I financially responsible for as a sponsored student?|
|1. All students are required to familiarize themselves with the Lakehead University academic and financial policies and procedures, including the Refund Policy. It is also the student's responsibility to ensure that their agency has submitted a Letter of Authorization/Financial Guarantee to invoice by the payment due date. |
2. All costs not covered by the Sponsor are expected to be paid by the student and received by the Accounts Receivable Office on or before the payment due date. This may include, but is not limited to the LUSU Health and Dental Plan.
3. If a sponsor cancels or withdraws their authorization to invoice, all costs will be transferred back to the student and will be due according to the published payment due dates.
Please view Sponsorships for more information.
|How do I apply for a Certificate of Exemption from International Tuition Fees?|
As an international student, you are required to pay international tuition fees. However, should your citizenship status change, you may be considered for an exemption from international tuition fees. Please carefully review the criteria and submit your completed Certificate of Exemption from International Fees form, along with original documentation and proof, to Student Central.
The Certificate of Exemption from International Fees form must be received prior to the term of enrolment. If forms are received after the start date of the term, the tuition fee exemption will apply in the subsequent term of study (e.g. a form received in October would receive exemption for the Winter term which runs January to April).
|How do I opt-out of the LUSU Medical/Dental Plan?|
The LUSU Medical/Dental Insurance is effective annually from September 1 for the 12 months ending August 31. All full-time undergraduate students who have registered in 3.75 or more FCEs for the Fall/Winter academic session, by the last day to register in September, are automatically assessed this mandatory fee.
Please note that whether you opt-out or not, the fee will remain on the student account and must be paid with the first installment.
English Language Students
What are the Required Fees?
What is the Payment Due Date?
The Application Fee is due upon application to your program (students who are conditionally admitted to an academic program at Lakehead University do not need to pay an additional ELC Application Fee).
Your Tuition Deposit of $1,000.00 CAD is due no later than 30 days prior to the program start date.
Final payment in full is due by the first day of your program. Please refer to the start date on your acceptance letter (or refer to the Program Dates posted online (copy link to program dates.
How do I request a refund?
Students with a credit balance on their account can defer their credit to a future term or request a refund. In order to request a full or partial refund, a request must be made to the English Language Centre. Please contact email@example.com for more information or to request a refund.
All refunds must be submitted by the applicable deadlines as outlined in the English Language Centre Refund Policy.