I am planning to travel to Lakehead from outside of Canada? Are students arriving from outside of Canada eligible for entry?

Traveling from outside of Canada during COVID-19 is a fluid process- changing daily. As such every student traveling from outside of Canada should be checking IRCC’s website for accurate up to date information at this link prior to travel. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html

All students traveling from outside of Canada now require Lakehead University’s quarantine approval letter and must submit a request 96 hours prior to travel.Lakehead University is now approved for it's COVID-19 Readiness plan.  Lakehead University has been updated on the designated learning institution list (DLI) and you can view this at the following webpage:

In addition to Lakehead University being added onto the approved Covid-19 Readiness Plan DLI list, you must also review the following information and submit your LU Quarantine Commitment Plan.  You are required to have an Approved Quarantine Commitment Plan letter prior to travelling. Students are required to submit their quarantine plan online to Lakehead at:


Please refer to our Quarantine page for more information before making a travel plan.

Prior to travelling from outside of Canada, it is a student’s responsibility to check IRCC’s link to ensure that Lakehead University has been added to the IRCC’s designated institution list.

Are there any events or workshops I can attend this term?

Yes! Lakehead International has weekly events, sessions, and workshops to keep you engaged and informed. Please visit our LUI Online Community of Care webpage to review the upcoming online programming! https://www.lakeheadu.ca/international/online-community/upcoming-events

How do I book an appointment with the International Office?

It's quick and easy! Follow the link below to use our new online appointment booking system. You can choose your reason for the appointment from the drop-down menu and then view each advisor's availability to choose the date and time that works best for you. https://www.lakeheadu.ca/international/online-community/appointments

How do I know if I am being scammed?

Identifying some of the common signs of scam phone calls where Scammers pose as revenue agency officials or from government agencies can help you protect yourself.

Some of the common signs of scammers posing as the government officials are,

1) Request for gift cards and alternate modes of payment.

2) Use of threats of immediate arrest and deportation on phone.

3) Threat against contacting anyone else for help.

4) Offering to help you get out of legal trouble if you make some payments.

Please note that if you have a doubt about a phone call, then tell the caller that you will call them later and ask for a contact number and case reference number to contact them later. If it's a legit call then the person will give their ID and reference number. Please contact the International Office if you need help verifying whether a call is legit or not and do not make any payments through phone. Contact the International Office immediately if you need assistance.

I am an LU student and I think I may have the symptoms for COVID? What should I do?
Please visit this website for the procedures and phone numbers to follow.
How can I apply for a SIN number?

Service Canada continues to provide critical services online during these extraordinary times,including the newly launched e-Social Insurance Number (eSIN). Through eSIN, individuals can quickly  and easily apply online for their SIN. Please visit https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/apply.html#online

What is a flu shot and why is it important? Where can I get a flu shot?
Flu shots are a normal part of the Canadian public health system, and most Canadians receive flushots every year to avoid unnecessary illness. The Province of Ontario is strongly encouraging allOntario residents to receive the flu shot this year, as this year’s flu season is taking place at the same time as COVID-19. It is recommended that you get a flu shot as soon as possible because ittakes two weeks to take effect.
International students in Thunder Bay can receive a flu shot at the following locations with their OHIP or Guard. Me health insurance cards:
Shoppers Drug Mart (any location)
International students in Orillia can receive a flu shot at the following locations  with their UHIP or Guard.Me health insurance cards:
 Muskoka District Health Unit By appointment only, available at local public health unit offices in Orillia and Barrie. Call 1-877-721-7520.
Will classes be in person for the Winter 2021 semester?

The University has continued to consult with local health authorities and has closely monitored the evolution of the pandemic through numerous discussions within the university sector and with all levels of government. At this point, after reviewing the current state and considering potential  scenarios over the remainder of this year, the University has decided to continue with a primarily   online and alternative delivery model for the winter 2021 term. Over the next few weeks we will determine specific program-related needs for the winter term. In some areas, there will be  opportunities for face-to-face learning in order to achieve learning outcomes in a safe manner. We are particularly focused on being able to safely offer you experiential and practical learning opportunities that can be delivered on campus or in the field. We are also committed to working with students to ensure they are able to graduate in a timely way. More information will be provided as we determine requirements within specific programs. Please continue  to monitor the LU Covid-19 site for updates https://www.lakeheadu.ca/about/covid-19