Types of Funding

1. Graduate Assistantship (GA)

  • Graduate Assistantships may take on the form of a Research Assistantship (RA) or a Teaching Assistantship (TA)
  • As a Research Assistant you may be asked to supervise and train MSc and undergraduate students in your lab, take care of equipment, and order supplies.
  • As a Teaching Assistant you will be assigned to specific course where you have the opportunity to develop skills in marking, lecturing and preparing undergraduate labs.

2. Faculty Research Award (FRA) - funding provided by the student's supervisor

3. Faculty of Graduate Studies top-up equivalent to 20% of the FRA up to $2000 for domestic applicants

4. Science and Environmental Studies top-up equivalent to 50% of the FRA up to $2500 for international applicants

5. External funding sources - OGS, NSERC, OTS, Industrial Partnerships, etc.

More information can be found at Graduate Funding

Cost of Living

It is important to consider your cost of living while working toward your doctorate. Although the cost of living in Thunder Bay is significantly lower than many of the larger cities in Canada, it is still very important to anticipate and manage your expenses so that you can focus on your research. 

Some potential costs to consider