Internal Planning Process for Upcoming CFI IF Call for Proposals
- CFI IF Expressions of Interest are due to the ORS by February 29, 2016.
- To access the draft CFI call (which includes the CFI's timelines), click here.
For its tenth nation-wide research infrastructure competition, the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) encourages eligible institutions and their researchers to craft proposals that focus on excellence, build on research strengths, and incorporate collaboration as a means to ensure the long-term sustainability of the Canadian research enterprise. These elements underpin the key directions of the CFI Strategic Roadmap 2012-17.
The Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) has issued a call for large research infrastructure projects under the 2017 Innovation Fund. The objectives of the 2017 Innovation Fund (IF) are to enable institutions and their best researchers to:
- Strive for global leadership by conducting world-class research or technology development activities in areas of strategic institutional priority;
- Enhance research capacity by forging productive partnerships within and among institutions, sectors and disciplines for the effective and sustainable use of the research infrastructure and facilities;
- Generate social, health, environmental and/or economic benefits for Canadians, including better training and improved skills for highly qualified personnel, through appropriate pathways.
The Office of Research Services would like to invite all faculty members and research centres to submit CFI IF Expressions of Interest with infrastructure project proposals that would be competitive under the IF. At this time, the proposals will not be evaluated but will be used to seek opportunities for collaboration among researchers, other academic institutions and partners. Once the CFI issues a formal call for proposals (Notice of Intent (NOI) to apply), the VP (RI) then will formally issue an internal call for NOIs.
The CFI’s Challenge to Institutions
It is important to note that for this competition (to access the draft CFI call, click here), the CFI will be challenging institutions to: "propose transformative infrastructure projects that will underpin cutting-edge, globally competitive research. Institutions should continue to be guided by their strategic research plans and establish priorities that build on their distinct advantages. Through the 2017 Innovation Fund, the CFI seeks to support promising and innovative research or technology development in areas where Canada currently is, or has the potential to be, competitive on the global stage. The CFI will support initiatives that allow institutions and their researchers to build on established capabilities to accelerate current research and technology development or to enhance emerging strategic priority areas."
As well, "Institutions are challenged to increase the competitiveness of the proposed research activities through collaboration with appropriate partners to plan, acquire, develop, operate and maintain infrastructure. Collaborations may be integrated into all facets of the proposed activities; for example, for the conduct of world-class research, the optimal use and sustainability of infrastructure, and knowledge or technology transfer that will generate socioeconomic benefits."
Under the 2017 IF competition, the CFI is encouraging institutions to submit proposals for which there is a proven record of, or a strong potential for, excellence and commitment. The CFI expects ". . . that effective collaboration with partners, where appropriate, will strengthen every aspect of a proposal."
For purposes of the 2017 IF competition, the CFI has placed a limit on the total value of funding that an eligible institution can request from this fund. Lakehead University’s institutional envelope is $3,400,000 (representing CFI’s 40% of project costs). No application that exceeds Lakehead’s CFI institutional envelope will be considered. CFI awards will be available to fund the acquisition or development of research infrastructure to increase research capacity (including construction or renovation costs) and the CFI will provide up to 40% of the total project cost. We also anticipate that the Ministry of Research and Innovation’s Ontario Research Fund (ORF) will fund an additional 40% with the remaining 20% of the funding to be provided by eligible funding partners (for example, in-kind contributions in the form of special discounts from equipment suppliers on infrastructure items beyond the best educational price).
It is important to note that for the 2017 IF competition, the CFI will only consider proposals whose total project costs are greater than $750,000.
(includes proposals in which Lakehead is the lead institution or has been asked to contribute part of its CFI allocation to another institution's submission)
Expressions of Interest submitted should be no more than two pages, including the budget estimate, and must include the following information:
1. Name of Principal Applicant, Co-applicants (and their academic institutions) and potential external partners.
2. Project Title.
3. General Objectives – Describe how your proposed project meets the requirements and vision of the CFI 2017 IF call for proposals.
4. A brief description of the proposed research project.
5. A budget estimate and list of potential equipment.
6. How the proposed research project fits with the research priority areas outlined in the Lakehead University Academic/Research Plan.
Researchers are reminded that the proposed CFI IF project should meet the following CFI criteria:
- Objective 3: Generate social, health, environmental and/or economic benefits for Canadians, including better training and improved skills for highly qualified personnel, through appropriate pathways.
- Benefits to Canadians: The research or technology development results will be transferred through appropriate pathways to potential end users and are likely to generate social, health, environmental and/or economic benefits for Canadians.
While we are soliciting proposals at this time, please note that the University may use this opportunity to apply for CFI IF funds for institutional strategic research infrastructure needs.
Should you have any questions regarding the CFI IF competition or internal CFI planning process, please contact Anne Klymenko at ext. 8223 or via email: Anne.Klymenko@lakeheadu.ca.