11th ANNUAL TD CANADA TRUST NORTHWESTERN ONTARIO HIGH SCHOOL MATHEMATICS COMPETITION March 21, 2013
The Department of Mathematical Sciences is once again preparing for this year's annual high school mathematics competition. This year's contest is March 21, 2013.
INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS
There will be three sets of problems:
- A senior individual contest, for students in grades 11 and 12
- A junior individual contest, for students in grades 9 and 10,
- A set of challenge problems, for teams.
The individual contests consist of multiple choice questions and are to be done on the contest booklet, with the answers written on the spaces provided on the front cover page. The whole booklet is to be returned. The teacher who is coordinating for each school will set the time and place, on March 21st, that these contests are to be written. These tests are closed book, with no books, notes, calculators or other aids allowed. The time allowed for the individual contests is one hour.
Team Challenge Contest
The team challenge problems will be sent to the schools in the same package as the individual contests and are to be distributed on the same occasion. You can also download a copy:
The students who choose to participate will arrange their own teams, of up to three students, all from the same school. They will submit their solutions by email to the contest web-site.
Each submission should include:
- The names of the (up to) three students
- The name of their school
- The name of the teacher coordinating the contest at their school
- A PDF file of their solution to the problem they are answering
If a team wishes to submit answers to more than one of the problems, they should make
one email submission as above for each solution they are submitting. Submissions will be accepted until 4:30pm on Friday March 29.
- Medals will be given for the best correct solution to each challenge problem.
- For the individual contests, there will be entrance awards of $750 for the top two students who enroll in a full time degree program at Lakehead University in the fall of 2013.
- Medals and gift cards for other top finishers in both junior and senior contests.
We are happy to once again have the support of TD Canada Trust.