Criminal Offences

Can Lakehead University Community Legal Services help me?

We may be able to help you with your criminal charge if:

  1. The charge is a summary conviction offence (see definition below; excluding previously classified "super summary" offences), or a hybrid offence where the Crown has elected to proceed summarily; and
  2. You were over the age of 18 at the time of the offence; and
  3. The Crown is not seeking jail time; and
  4. You do not qualify for a Legal Aid Certificate.

Some common offences that we do accept include: 

  • Mischief to Property under $5000;
  • Common Assault (including domestic violence allegations);
  • Theft Under $5000;
  • Possession of Stolen Property under $5000

Other charges may qualify.  Call us to see if we can help you with your matter.

What is a "Summary Offence"?

  • A summary offence is a less serious type of criminal charge. It has a maximum penalty of two years less a day in jail, a fine up to $5000, or both.
  • If you are being charged with a more serious offence (previously known as a "super-summary" offence, or an indictable offence), the Crown may be able to seek much higher penalties and you may wish to hire a lawyer to represent you. Lakehead University Community Legal Services does not cover these types of offences; however, you may be eligible for a Legal Aid Certificate. Contact Legal Aid Ontario for more information.

Are there certain offences that Community Legal Services does not handle?

If your legal problem involves one of the following elements, we cannot represent you.

  1. Criminal offences where the Crown is seeking jail;
  2. Indictable offences;
  3. Hybrid offences where the Crown elects to proceed by Indictment;
  4. Super-summary offences;
  5. Youth charges (where the alleged offender was under 18 at the time of the offence);

Specifically, we do not do any of the following:

  • Assault Causing Bodily Harm
  • Assault with a Weapon
  • Fail to Comply with Probation Order
  • Forcible Confinement
  • Most sex related charges, including Sexual Assault
  • Most Firearms related charges
  • Impaired Driving or Driving with a Blood Alcohol Level Over .08

Although Community Legal Services cannot help you with these matters, you may qualify for a Legal Aid certificate. You can contact Legal Aid locally at (807) 345-1972 or toll free at (866) 297-5559. To apply for a Legal Aid certificate over the phone call: 1 (800) 668-8258.