August 23, 2019 – Thunder Bay, Ont.
It’s not too late for you to apply to Lakehead University – applications will be accepted for most programs until the first week of September.
Lakehead is a comprehensive university offering a diverse range of programs across two campuses in Thunder Bay and Orillia. From science and arts to professional degree programs, there is a program for everyone at Lakehead.
The Thunderwolves Howl! Fall Orientation will welcome new students to Lakehead University’s Thunder Bay campus. Orientation will run from Wednesday, Aug. 28 until Saturday, Aug. 31, and will focus on helping students successfully transition to Lakehead University.
“Students will definitely enjoy the Quest for the President’s Cup, which offers them a chance to explore campus, learn about the supports and services, get to know each other, and win prizes donated by local businesses,” said Richard Clark of the Student Success Centre.
“All of Lakehead’s Orientation events allow new students to be introduced and connected to the Lakehead and Thunder Bay communities, as well as familiarize themselves with resources that will help them transition to university life,” he added.
Events and activities will cater to students entering from high school, college/university transfer, as well as international, Aboriginal and mature students.
“These events will ensure students have a positive introduction to Lakehead and start the year prepared and excited for their new academic adventure,” said Shannon Maloney, Academic Support Zone Coordinator. “Our programming engages students in the University experience and helps them develop a sense of belonging at Lakehead.”
The Student Success Centre, Residence & Conference Services, and the Lakehead University Student Union are organizing the Thunderwolves Howl! Orientation.
Wednesday, Aug. 28
- 9:00 am - 1:00 pm International Welcome Day
- 11:30 am - 1:00 pm Campus & Community Fair
- 11:00 am - 5:00 pm Registration/Check-In & Tours
- 6:00 pm Live on the Waterfront Concert
Thursday, Aug. 29
- 9:00 am - 1:00 pm Registration/Check-In – It’s Residence move-in day!
- 1:30 pm Orientation Kick-Off Bonanza
- 2:30 pm - 5:00 pm Quest for the President’s Cup
- 7:30 pm Carnival
- 9:30 pm Outdoor Movie
Friday, Aug. 30
- 9:45 am Faculty & Program Sessions
- 11:30 am President’s Procession and Welcoming Ceremony – The procession begins at 11:15 am outside the Chancellor Paterson Library and heads to the CJ Sanders Fieldhouse for the welcoming ceremony, which starts at 11:30 am.
- 12:15 pm Varsity Madness
- 1:00 pm Lunch by the Lake
- 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm Downtown Scavenger Hunt
- 7:00 pm Monte Carlo Night
Saturday, Aug. 31
- 11:00 am - 5:00 pm LUSU Day Activities
- 7:00 pm - LUSU Concert
Tuesday, Sept. 3
- First day of classes
Saturday, Sept. 7
- 12 to 5 pm Maadaadizi Post-Secondary Student Orientation at Marina Park, to welcome Aboriginal students to Lakehead University and post-secondary school.
– 30 –
Media: For more information or interviews, please contact Brandon Walker, Media, Communications and Marketing Associate, at (807) 343-8177 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lakehead University has approximately 9,700 full-time equivalent students and 2,000 faculty and staff in 10 faculties at two campuses in Orillia and Thunder Bay, Ontario. Lakehead is a fully comprehensive university: home to Ontario’s newest Faculty of Law in 44 years, the Northern Ontario School of Medicine, and faculties of Engineering, Business Administration, Health & Behavioural Sciences, Social Sciences & Humanities, Science & Environmental Studies, Natural Resources Management, Education, and Graduate Studies. Maclean’s 2019 University Rankings place Lakehead University among Canada's Top 10 primarily undergraduate universities and in 2018 Research Infosource named Lakehead Research University of the Year in its category for the fourth consecutive year. Visit www.lakeheadu.ca.