August 24, 2018 – Thunder Bay, ON
It’s not too late to apply to Lakehead University – applications will be accepted for most programs until the first week of September.
If you are accepted, the Thunderwolves Howl! Fall Orientation will welcome you and other new students to Lakehead University and introduce you to the Thunder Bay campus. Orientation will run from Wednesday, Aug. 29 until Saturday, Sept. 1, and will focus on helping students successfully transition to Lakehead University.
“Students will definitely enjoy the Quest for the President’s Cup, which offers students a chance to explore campus, learn about the supports and services, get to know each other, and win prizes donated by local businesses,” said Jo Krisko, Manager of the Student Success Centre.
“All of Lakehead’s Orientation events offer a chance for new students to be introduced and connected to the Lakehead and Thunder Bay communities, as well as familiarize themselves with resources that will help them transition to university life,” she added.
Events and activities will cater to students entering from high school, college/university transfer, as well as international, Aboriginal and mature students.
“These events will ensure students have a positive introduction to Lakehead and start the year prepared and excited for this new academic adventure,” said Chris Glover, Director of Student Affairs. “Our programming engages students in the University experience and helps them to develop a sense of belonging at Lakehead.”
The Student Success Centre, Residence & Conference Services, and the Lakehead University Student Union are organizing the Thunderwolves Howl! Orientation.
Wednesday, Aug. 29
- 9 am – 5:30 pm – Orientation Registration, Campus Tours, City Tours, Library Tours and more in the Agora
- Residence Move-In Day
- 1:30 – 3:30 pm – Student Health & Wellness Open House
- 5:30 pm – New event: Live On The Waterfront – a special event for students living off-campus at Marina Park
Thursday, Aug. 30
- 9 am to 4 pm – Native Nursing Entry Program Orientation in the School of Nursing Building room 1021
- 9 am to 4 pm – Native Access Program Orientation in the Ryan Building room 2026
- 8:30 – 11 am – Freshman Frenzy!
- 11 am – Faculty & Program Academic Sessions
- 2 – 4 pm – Visit to Fort William Historical Park
- 5 – 7 pm – Mature & Transfer Student Dinner Party
Friday, Aug. 31
- 9:30 – 11:30 am – Quest For The President’s Cup
- 12 – 1 pm – President’s Welcome Commencement & Picnic
- 1:15 – 2:15 pm – Varsity Madness!
- 2:30 – 4 pm – Downtown Scavenger Hunt
- 7 – 10 pm – Friday Night Lights Festival at Lake Tamblyn
Saturday, Sept. 1
LUSU day trips
- Buses to Sleeping Giant, Country Market, Paintball, City Tours and Grocery Runs, leave from the Agora at various times throughout the day
- 4 to 11 pm – LUSU Orientation Party at Mount Baldy
Tuesday, Sept. 4
- First day of classes
Saturday, Sept. 8
- 12 to 5 pm – Maadaadizi Post-Secondary Student Orientation at Marina Park, to welcome Aboriginal students to Lakehead University and post-secondary school.
– 30 –
Media: For more information or interviews, please contact Brandon Walker, Communications and Marketing Associate, at (807) 343-8177 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lakehead University has approximately 9,700 full-time equivalent students and 2,000 faculty and staff in 10 faculties at two campuses in Orillia and Thunder Bay, Ontario. Lakehead is a fully comprehensive university: home to Ontario’s newest Faculty of Law in 44 years, the Northern Ontario School of Medicine, and faculties of Engineering, Business Administration, Health & Behavioural Sciences, Social Sciences & Humanities, Science & Environmental Studies, Natural Resources Management, Education, and Graduate Studies. Maclean’s 2018 University Rankings place Lakehead University among Canada's Top 10 primarily undergraduate universities, as well as first in Total Research Dollars, second for Citations, and third for Scholarships and Bursaries. In 2017, Research Infosource named Lakehead Research University of the Year in its category for the third consecutive year. Visit www.lakeheadu.ca.