Lakehead President and Vice-Chancellor Dr. Brian Stevenson announced the creation of the President's Advisory Council on Economic Development for Northwestern Ontario.
September 18, 2013 – Thunder Bay, ON
Lakehead University President & Vice-Chancellor, Dr. Brian Stevenson, has announced the creation of the President’s Advisory Council on Economic Development (PACED) for Northwestern Ontario. The council will meet regularly, and is comprised of regional industry and business leaders.
“PACED’s purpose is to advise me on how Lakehead University can fulfil an even more integral role in the economic development of Northwestern Ontario,” said Dr. Stevenson, who will serve as Chair of the new council. “Council members will help me determine where this University can best contribute to our region and how to measure that success.”
PACED members were selected based on individual skill sets and include private-sector business representatives from the Aboriginal community, as well as various industries such as transportation, mining, banking, and construction:
- Harvey Cardwell… Vice-Chair of PACED, and CEO, Northco Group
- Rob Bell… President & General Manager, Dingwell's North America
- Don Campbell… former President & CEO, TBaytel
- Andrew Cheatle… President, Chief Executive Officer, Director, Unigold Inc.
- Ed Collins… Manager of Economic Development, Fort William First Nation
- Barb Courte… President & CEO, North Star Drilling and Cobra Drilling
- Silvio Di Gregorio… Secretary Treasurer, Bruno's Contracting
- Tim Heney… CEO, Thunder Bay Port Authority
- Irene Kozlowski… President & CEO, Sencia Canada Ltd.
- Ian McCormack… Director of Business Operations, Tetra Tech, and Chair, Thunder Bay Airport Authority
- Joe Moses… Account Manager, Commercial Banking, RBC Royal Bank
- Doug Murray… President & CEO, Thunder Bay Community Economic Development Commission
- Robert Poulter… President & CEO, Mitomics Inc.
- Madge Richardson… Executive Director, North Superior Workforce Planning Board
- Murray Walberg… Regional Vice-President, RBC Royal Bank
- Frederic Gascon… Vice-President Manufacturing, Bombardier
“I want to thank all council members who have stepped forward to give of their time and expertise,” said Harvey Cardwell, Vice-Chair of PACED, and a Fellow of Lakehead University. A former member of Lakehead’s Board of Governors, Cardwell added, “We look forward to this group’s recommendations and counsel, as Lakehead endeavours to make an even greater impact on economic development in Northwestern Ontario for years to come.”
A PACED for Central Ontario will be established in Simcoe County, in the coming months, to guide Lakehead University’s economic development activities in that region of the province, as well.
– 30 –
Media: For more information or to arrange an interview, please contact Brandon Walker, Media Relations Officer, at (807) 343-8177.
Lakehead University is a comprehensive university with a reputation for a multidisciplinary teaching approach that emphasizes collaborative learning and independent critical thinking. More than 8,700 students and 1,850 faculty and staff learn and work at campuses located in Orillia, and Thunder Bay, Ontario, which is home to the west campus of the Northern Ontario School of Medicine. Lakehead University promotes innovative research that supports local and regional socio-economic needs. In Orillia, development continues on building a campus that meets Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) standards. For more information about Lakehead University, visit www.lakeheadu.ca.