Indigenous Relations Intern
Full Time, Contract
Competition # GEN-22-05
As an ambassador for Lakehead University, the Indigenous Relations Intern will support and facilitate relationships with Indigenous communities and organizations, as well as navigate resources and supports for current students. The Intern will provide administrative support to the Indigenous Law & Justice Institute, the Indigenous Summer Course, the Indigenous Perspectives course, the Indigenous Law Students’ Association, and student well-being in collaboration with the Directors of Indigenous Relations and the Indigenous Law & Justice Institute.
- Participation in Institute activities, including the planning and delivery of a land-based law camp and related activities, an Indigenous Law Conference, and workshops related to cultural humility for students and faculty
- Participation in Office of Indigenous Relations activities related to recruitment, admissions, and student retention
- Participation in regular meetings within the Faculty of Law and Lakehead University.
- Revising and improving the structure and delivery of the Indigenous Perspectives Course
- Planning and delivery of a summer course for incoming Indigenous law students
- Collaborating with faculty, staff, Indigenous Initiatives, and other departments on mutual areas of interest related to academic success of Indigenous students
- Other duties as assigned
- An undergraduate degree in Education, Indigenous Learning or a relevant field in the Social Sciences & Humanities or equivalent experience
- Awareness of working relationships within student services in post-secondary education
- A thorough understanding of Indigenous culture, history, perspectives and an awareness of the structures at work in governance and organizations
- Experience working with Indigenous people, organizations and communities, and an interest in education, law, and/or postsecondary administration.
- The intern will also be guided by the seven sacred teachings: respect, honesty, humility, wisdom, courage, truth, and love.
Please email applications to:
955 Oliver Road,
Thunder Bay, ON
P7B 5E1, Canada
THIS OPPORTUNITY IS PROUDLY SUPPORTED BY:
We appreciate your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be notified.
Lakehead University is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals including women, racialized persons, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and other equity-seeking groups. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. This is in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements.
Lakehead University is committed to supporting an accessible environment. Applicants requiring accommodation during the interview process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (807) 343.8334 or email@example.com to make appropriate arrangements.