On behalf of the Offices of Research Services and Human Rights and Equity, we are pleased to announce the following academic departments, and lead faculty members, were successful in the internal competition titled ‘Departmental Competition for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Initiatives’ for the amounts listed:
- Anthropology (Dr. Jessica Metcalfe) - $1,500
- Chemical Engineering (Dr. Sudip Rakshit) - $1,200
- Civil Engineering (Dr. Ahmed Elshaer, Dr. Ahmed Bediwy and Dr. Jian Deng) - $1,500
- English (Dr. Max Haiven, Dr. Sarah Olutola and Dr. Anna Guttman) - $1,300
- Geology (Dr. Noah Phillips) - $1,500
- Health and Behavioural Sciences (Dr. Ravi Gokani) - $1,500
- Physics (Dr. Hubert de Guise) - $1,200
- Science & Environmental Studies Science Speaker Committee (Dr. Joseph Carney - Chair, Dr. Maryam Ebrahimi, Dr. Matthew Tocheri, Dr. Amanda Diochon, Dr. Noah Phillips, and Dr. Sree Kurissery) - $300
These departments and EDI champions put forth excellent proposals for increasing EDI knowledge within the research environment at Lakehead University. All successful departments received funding, made possible through an NSERC EDI Institutional Capacity-Building Grant, that will support the implementation of these projects. The initiatives range from speaker events to mentor activities and will occur by the end of March 2023.
Please keep an eye on the Research & Innovation Bulletin and Campus Connection for more details on the public events being planned by these units.
Once again, congratulations to all!