The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) Window-of-Opportunity (WOO) Network is inviting concept submissions for WOO trials, which target the ‘window’ of time after cancer diagnosis, typically prior to initiation of cancer therapy (usually surgery with curative intent). In presurgical WOO trials, patients with treatment naïve or early-stage disease are treated for a brief ‘window’ period with a novel therapy followed by surgical resection.
Funding support is provided to prioritized trial concepts that meet funding criteria. Investigators will present their concepts during the WOO Network Meeting on Thursday, February 9, 2023. Once prioritized, further trial development is engaged, facilitated and iterative.
WOO trial criteria
- Design: multi-centre, presurgical randomized window trial with less than 100 patients
- Disease: early-stage disease (newly diagnosed treatment naive or early recurrent cancer)
- Drug: if drug intervention is considered, demonstrated drug safety profile is available, along with evidence of strong support of the trial concept and timely drug availability by industry partners
- Feasibility: patient accrual completion within two years, with ethics approval and study start-up within six months after funding approval
- Focus: immunomodulation with identification of novel biomarkers of immune response
The WOO Network invites trial concepts from investigators at Ontario academic centres and hospital research institutes. Funding is only tenable in Ontario. For profit entities are not eligible to receive OICR funding.
The Network is focused on building WOO study capacity in Ontario, and strongly encourages including early career investigators/clinicians as part of the study team.
Successful WOO trials will be funded to a maximum of $400,000. Note that OICR does not provide overhead for clinical trials. Funding is contingent upon available funding from the Government of Ontario via the Ministry of Colleges and Universities.