Vision of the Office of Research Services
The Office of Research Services strives to make Lakehead University one of the top research intensive universities in Canada by supporting and facilitating research, scholarly activity and innovation, mentoring and training, and the translation of research results into health, social and economic benefits for our region, country and world.
Mandate of the Office of Research Services
To implement Lakehead’s strategic research directions by providing the highest quality research administration and ethics support services needed to realize the full potential of excellence for Lakehead’s research and innovation enterprise.
Guiding Principles and Core Values
The Office of Research Services champions and supports research, scholarship, creativity, social justice and change. We will:
- Model best practices of research administration
- Recognize and encourage the development of progressive researchers with innovative ideas
- Value the importance of professional development and the retention and recruitment of highly qualified individuals
- Appreciate the importance of knowledge mobilization/transfer activities and community partnerships
The Office of Research Services recognizes the importance of ethical conduct in research and inspires trust and confidence in others by acting with openness, honesty, objectivity and accountability. We will:
- Uphold the highest standards in the ethical conduct of research, including the use of animals, humans, biohazards, radiation safety and the environment in research, teaching and testing services.
- Embrace education as a means to promote an environment and culture that respects and inspires research integrity.
- Act with fairness, transparency, honesty, and impartiality to build trust and confidence in others.
The Office of Research Services responds in a timely, effective, and thorough manner. We will:
- Provide tools and support to facilitate administrative processes, allowing researchers to focus on their research and scholarly pursuits
- Communicate critical information to constituents in a timely, consistent, and effective manner.
- Provide educational opportunities (i.e., grant writing and community-engagement workshops, etc.) to build research capacity and success.
- Seek and capitalize on opportunities to enhance research infrastructure, and develop interdisciplinary and discipline specific Centres of Excellence
- Support the recruitment and retention of world-class researchers
The Office of Research Services promotes collaborations across the university and with academic institutions, governments, non-governmental organizations, and business entities around the world. We will:
- Support and lead interdisciplinary research efforts toward the formation of new multidisciplinary centres of excellence.
- Build new collaborations with academia, Aboriginal communities/organizations, government and non-governmental organizations, and global partners to accelerate the formation of new research centres of excellence for training of highly qualified personnel that respond to unique community needs, and contribute to Lakehead’s social justice aspirations.
The Office of Research Services will facilitate the celebration of excellence in research and innovation. We will:
- Promote and profile the impact and relevance of Lakehead’s research and innovation efforts.
- Communicate research success stories to the University’s stakeholders.
- Honour and reward research and innovation achievements.