UPDATE (May 27, 2020): Because of unexpected changes by Mitacs, the RTA quota at Lakehead has been reduced from a total of 30 awards to 8 awards (confirmed) for a first tranche, with the possibility of a second tranche (to be confirmed in mid-June). We regret any inconvenience this may cause for applicants, however, these circumstances are outside of Lakehead's control. Another update will be posted in mid-June regarding the possible second tranche.
Dear Lakehead Students,
In collaboration with Mitacs, Lakehead is pleased to offer 30 Research Training Awards (RTA) to returning Lakehead students, for the summer of 2020. Awards are in the amount of CAD 6,000 for student-driven research projects of 12-16 weeks in duration (projects must be completed within that time frame). Projects may begin as soon as approved by Mitacs, but must begin no later than August 31, 2020.
Application and selection guidelines
Student Eligibility. Full-time undergraduate and graduate students are eligible (including international students), in any discipline. Students must be registered during the award period (previous winter for undergraduates, spring/summer for graduate students) and Fall 2020. Undergraduates who have recently graduated but have committed to a graduate program in the fall at Lakehead are also eligible. Students who are actively working on another Mitacs-funded project are not eligible.
Faculty Supervisor. A Lakehead Faculty member (must be Tri-Council eligible) must agree to supervise the student research project, and is expected to meet with the student at least once a week – meetings can be virtual.
Projects. Because of safety measures taken during the COVID-19 pandemic, students should propose projects that can be conducted remotely. If the campus re-opens while the project is underway, the project can continue on campus, provided it can be safely conducted under the guidelines in place at that time. Twelve weeks is the minimum project length, 16 weeks is the maximum.
Program Coordinator: Jill Sherman, Office of Research Services, email@example.com.
If you would like to participate and have a research project idea:
- Download and review the Toolkit and the Application template.
- Contact a Faculty member who might be your supervisor, and discuss your project idea.
- Complete the application in Word (do not change any of the document settings) and submit it to the Dean of your Faculty by May 25, 2020. If you have questions about completing the application, you can contact the Program Coordinator.
- Each Faculty will have a limited number of awards. Your Faculty Dean will oversee the selection process and make recommendations of selected candidates to the Vice President (Research and Innovation) by June 1.
- If selected, you will then work with the Program Coordinator to submit your application to Mitacs. Mitacs will give a decision on your application within 1-2 weeks.
- At the end of the project, you will be required to prepare and deliver a final report and a presentation to the supervisor during the last week of the award period.