Academic English Program (AEP) - 13 Weeks
- Students will improve their ability to read academic materials, write a variety of academic essays and give academic presentations individually and in groups.
- There are 5 levels in the Academic English Program. You will be assessed upon arrival and placed in the appropriate level based on your skills if you do not possess current IELTS or TOEFL scores. Please note that Lakehead University will temporarily accept the Duolingo English Test from applicants who are from a region where IELTS and/or TOEFL test centres are closed due to COVID-19. If you do not have a test score from any of these sources, you can do a placement test upon your arrival. Placement Testing can be done online. Please contact us for more information.
- NOTE: Our in house placement test is used for placement in the Academic English Program only. Thus, the test does not guarantee entry in any undergraduate or graduate program.
- The program runs 25 hours per week and each level takes 13 weeks to complete.
- Upon successful completion of Level 5 of the Academic English Program, Graduates will meet the English language academic requirement for most Lakehead University programs without having to take another standardized English test.
- Level 5 of the program is the equivalent of IELTS (6.5), TOEFL (80), Duolingo English Test (110).
- If you begin the program in level 5, you may be allowed to take one academic course outside of your AEP class schedule. Please note that eligibility to take academic courses will be determined on a case-by-case basis and depending on your IELTS individual scores.
Intensive Academic English Program (IAEP) - 9 Weeks (compressed)
Students who have a conditional Offer of Admission and have the equivalent of IELTS 6.0 overall with no band lower than 6.0 may be admitted to the Intensive Academic English Program (IAEP). This compressed course takes 9 weeks (July & August) and runs Monday through Saturday from 9a.m. to 4p.m. (36 hours per week). This program will allow students to start their academic program in September upon successful completion of IAEP.
Review our AEP and IAEP Student Handbook here.
May 4, 2020 - July 31, 2020 (all levels)
September 8, 2020 - December 11, 2020 (all levels)
June 29, 2020 - August 28, 2020 (level 5; IELTS 6.0 or equivalent only)
January 11, 2021 - April 16, 2021 (all levels)
May 3, 2021 - July 30, 2021 (all levels)
September 7, 2021 - December 10, 2021 (all levels)
June 28, 2021 - August 27, 2021 (level 5; IELTS 6.0 or equivalent only)
Academic English Program Tuition:
$4,800 CAD per semester
Placement Test Fee (if required):
$2,500 - $3,200 CAD per class per semester depending on the academic program
Optional for advanced English-language students.
$322.79 CAD per class per semester. Students do not obtain a credit.
Optional if you would like to take academic courses without receiving credit.
$900 - $1500 CAD per month
Prices vary depending on the type of accommodation you choose and whether you live on or off campus.
$1.95 CAD per day (approximately $238 per semester)
For details on medical coverage, visit the GuardMe website.
Approximately $60 CAD per semester
$198.95 (September - April)
$141.25 (January - August)
$144.35 (September 2020 - August 2021)
$95 (January 2021 - August 2021)
A typical week in our Academic English Program balances class time learning English with cultural excursions and free time, allowing you to learn about our city and culture as well as practice your English skills. Each week in the program introduces you to brand new experiences. Here is just a sample of what you could expect as an Academic English Program student:
Some of the types of cultural excursions you could look forward to include:
- Canada Day celebration (Thunder Bay and Orillia campuses)
- A guided tour of the downtown museum or art gallery (Thunder Bay and Orillia campuses)
- A nature hike at Kakabeka Falls or Scout Valley (Thunder Bay and Orillia campuses)
- Attending a Thunderwolves hockey game (Thunder Bay and Orillia campuses)
- Skiing at Mount Baldy or Blue Mountain (Thunder Bay and Orillia campuses)
The application process for our Academic English Program (AEP) varies depending on what academic program (if any) you will be taking:
- Undergraduate Applicants: If you have already been conditionally accepted to an Undergraduate Program, you do not need to apply for Academic English Program (AEP). You will automatically be considered.
- Graduate Applicants: If you are accepted to a Graduate Level Program and need to take the Academic English Program (AEP), you will receive instructions in your Letter of Acceptance on how to apply to AEP.
- English Language Only: If you would like to apply to Academic English Program (AEP) only, and not any other academic program at Lakehead, please apply online using the Lakehead University Undergraduate Application Form.
If you are unsure or have questions, contact us and we can help:
Phone: +1 (807) 346-7888