Building Research Capacity at Lakehead University Award Guidelines
Dedicated researchers at Lakehead University continue to actively collaborate in university-wide initiatives such as preparation of significant research proposals and engaging in other unique research capacity building strategies. Lakehead University values the drive and dedication of its researchers and applauds all such initiatives. To formally recognize the contributions of these dedicated individuals or groups to the University’s research capacity and productivity as a whole, Lakehead University invites applications for the annual Building Research Capacity at Lakehead University Award.
Each year, the Building Research Capacity at Lakehead University Award is presented to an individual researcher or a group of researchers who have gone above and beyond their individual program(s) of research and positively impacted Lakehead University’s research community (e.g., colleagues, students, the broader community, etc.). These individuals’ contributions benefit Lakehead University’s research community.
Applications must align with one of the following categories (and no more than 3 if applicable):
1. Contributing to significant Lakehead University research initiatives or projects resulting in benefits to the broader university community;
2. Demonstrating significant leadership in the development of major funding research proposals and/or initiatives;
3. Creating successful interdisciplinary research centres or groups that have increased research capacity and external funding at the University;
4. Demonstrating research leadership and mentorship of junior researchers and highly qualified personnel resulting in increased research capacity;
5. Creating a legacy for researchers to utilize and/or build upon (i.e., research infrastructure, research tools, new graduate programs, etc.) to ensure continued research productivity and success at Lakehead University; and/or
6. Creating or facilitating significant events that promote research and innovation at Lakehead University.
Tenure-track and tenured Lakehead University faculty members are eligible for this award. Applicants who have received the award in previous years are eligible to apply again to be recognized for a new contribution towards building research capacity.
Applications are due on January 15, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. All applications must be submitted through the Romeo Research Portal where additional instructions and maximum word counts are provided. To access the portal, please log into MyInfo and select “Romeo Research Portal” under the web utilities icon. Applications must contain the following documentation:
• A description highlighting how the researcher(s)’ capacity-building initiative has gone above and beyond their individual program(s) of research and positively impacted Lakehead University’s research community (e.g., colleagues, students, the broader community, etc.);
• An explanation of how the applicant(s) contributions are aligned with up to three of the identified areas;
• Letter(s) of support (minimum 1; maximum 3);
• Any additional evidence of the relevant research-capacity building that the applicant wishes to submit (e.g., conference/symposia programs, photographs, videos, etc.).
The Vice-President, Research and Innovation will appoint a Selection Committee. The Selection Committee will review all submitted applications and make its recommendations to the Vice-President, Research and Innovation. The Selection Committee may recommend that the award not be presented if applications received do not meet the award criteria.
One cash award of $1,000 and a framed certificate will be presented to the selected recipient(s) during Research and Innovation Week’s Awards Reception.