The Forest Sector Investment and Innovation Program provides funding for strategic investments in the forest sector that:
- improve productivity and innovation
- enhance competitiveness
- support new market access
- provide benefits to Ontario’s broader forest sector
- strengthen regional economies
Support is available under two project categories:
- business projects
- collaboration projects
Support is available for Ontario-based projects with at least $3 million in eligible costs undertaken by for-profit manufacturers and processors of wood and forest biomass across Ontario, including:
- saw mills
- pulp and paper mills
- secondary wood manufacturers
- bio-economy projects
Harvesting and resource extraction projects are not eligible for funding.
Support is available for Ontario-based projects with at least $3 million in eligible costs undertaken through a collaboration of:
- forest sector for-profit businesses
- not-for-profit research organizations
- forest industry associations
Eligible collaborations should develop, diversify and transform Ontario’s forest sector through innovation in technology, process or products.
A minimum of three partners are required (including at least one Ontario-based for-profit forestry/wood products company).