NOHFC Administrative Internship Call

Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC) – Workforce Development Stream / Indigenous Workforce Development Stream Regular (administrative) Internships:  
  • One Position Available


Workforce Development Stream:  The intent of the Workforce Development Stream is to strengthen and develop Northern Ontario’s workforce through business partnerships by offering internships.  

Indigenous Workforce Development Stream:  The intent of the Indigenous Workforce Development Stream is to strengthen and develop Northern Ontario’s Indigenous workforce through business partnerships by offering internships to Indigenous persons.

Lakehead University will have one NOHFC administrative-related internship (out of its quota of two administrative-related placements) become available after the end of May 2023 through the NOHFC Workforce Development Stream/Indigenous Workforce Development Streams.  The internal deadline for the submission of regular internship applications to the Office of Research is February 17, 2023Please email a copy of your NOHFC application to Andrew Hacquoil, Research Facilitator (Institutional Programs), Office of Research, at  Do not submit your application to the NOHFC. Note that you will need to create an account on the NOHFC website in order to create an application. If more than one application is received, an internal competition will need to be held to determine which application will be submitted to the NOHFC.  Final decisions will be made by the Executive Team Working Group.

  • Important Note:  Under this NOHFC administrative internship call, priority will be given to applications from Lakehead University administrative units.


Eligible Candidates/Costs

Salaries/wages and employer’s portion of Mandatory Employment Related Costs (MERCs) (e.g.: Canada Pension Plan, Employment Insurance, mandatory minimum vacation pay, as per Employment Standards Act) for a limited-term internship position of 52 weeks (with at least 35 hours of work per week) for candidates that:

  • Are new entrants into the workforce, are transitioning to a new career, or the unemployed or underemployed who are entering a new field;
  • Have not previously participated in a NOHFC-funded internship;
  • Are at least 18 years of age; and
  • Reside, and be legally entitled to work, in Canada.
  • For the  Indigenous Workforce Development Stream:  Identify as an Indigenous person, including First Nation, Metis, or Inuit.  


Review Criteria

Applications will be reviewed according to the following criteria:

  • The extent to which the position addresses a labour shortage or supports the development of a skilled trade or profession in Northern Ontario;
  • The opportunity for the placement to result in a full-time, permanent job with the applicant or another Northern Ontario business;*
  • The quality of the skill development opportunity and the potential for the position to provide specific and recognizable transferable skills, and 
  • The quality of the position’s work/training plan and direct onsite supervision methods   

*Please note that applicants, in order to demonstrate the possibility of the internship resulting in permanent employment, must outline in their application:

  • How the internship could result in a permanent job with the applicant, or
  • How the skills and training acquired by the intern by working with the faculty member on the proposed project will make them more employable in a certain field or industry (please give specific examples from your project that will show what skills and training will be acquired by the intern).

Applications that indicate No employment opportunities will result, will be declared ineligible and removed from the internal competition.


For eligible municipalities, Indigenous communities and not-for-profit organizations, funding is in the form of a conditional contribution of up to 90% of an intern’s salary and employer’s portion of MERCs to a maximum of $35,000 per year. It is important to note that the applicant must provide the remaining 10% of the cost of the intern.  Therefore, when submitting your internship application to the Office of Research Services, A separate statement of where the required matching funds (plus benefits) will come from must be provided as well.  Applications submitted by the February 17, 2023 internal deadline without information on matching funds will be considered ineligible in the internal competition

For more information about the NOHFC program, please click here. 
Please note that for purposes of the NOHFC, "The NOHFC provides economic development funding toward approved projects in the territorial districts of Northern Ontario, namely Algoma, Cochrane, Kenora, Manitoulin, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Rainy River, Sudbury, Thunder Bay and Timiskaming."