CFI - Exceptional Opportunities Fund – COVID-19: Internal Call for Expressions of Interest
Through the Exceptional Opportunities Fund – COVID-19 competition, the CFI will invest up to $25 million with the objective of supporting urgent needs for equipment for ongoing research related to COVID-19. Full-time faculty members (affiliated with Lakehead University, TBRHRI, and NOSM West Campus are eligible to apply).
As an exception to their usual competitions, the CFI will cover up to 100 percent of the eligible costs of a project. Final applications are due at the CFI by July 6, 2020.
As per the CFI call document, to qualify for this funding opportunity, a project must meet the following requirements:
• The infrastructure component must be an indispensable element of an ongoing research project related to COVID-19.
• The infrastructure component must be acquired at the latest by March 31, 2021.
Under this special call, the CFI has indicated that Lakehead University can submit applications for equipment seeking a maximum of $200,000 from the fund.
Due to the short turnaround time for this call, Lakehead University invites submissions under the following process and timelines.
Stage 1: Expressions of Interest due to ORS by June 10 @ 4:30 (mandatory)
- COVID-19 Project Title
- Anticipated Amount To Be Requested
- Names of Principal Investigator and Co-applicants
Stage 2: Internal Letter of Intent due to ORS by June 15 @ 12 noon (6 pages maximum)
- Project Title*
- Project Summary (50 words) and abbreviated proposal outlining how the project addresses each of the CFI program criteria*
- CV for members of research team (CFI CV, CCV, or standard CV will be accepted)#
- Budget justification*
- 1 quote for each piece of equipment requested#
* - Included in the six page LOI.
# - In addition to the six page LOI
An internal review committee will meet and review/rank the applications in relation to the CFI program criteria. The Internal Peer Review Committee will provide their recommendations to the VPRI by June 19 and the successful applicants will be invited to prepare their full proposals using CFI Awards Management System (CAMS) and submit to the ORS by June 29.
For questions, please contact Andrew Hacquoil, Research Grants Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org).