The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is a very prestigious fellowship program that provides funding to the very best of postdoctoral applicants, both nationally and internationally. The program expects that these postdocs will positively contribute to Canada's "economic, social and research-based growth."
The specific objectives of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program are to:
- attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally
- develop their leadership potential
- position them for success as research leaders of tomorrow
Because of the fact that the Banting program expects universities to submit applications for the best candidates, in order to select the most meritorious applicants for endorsement, the following deadlines/procedure will be followed for this year's competition:
1. Banting submissions from potential candidates are due in the Office of Research Services no later than July 19, 2019. Banting applications received after this date will not be considered.
2. Submissions received by the internal deadline will be reviewed by the Senate Research Committee and feedback provided to the candidate by August 9, 2019.
3. Final Banting submissions will be due internally September 4.
4. The required University letter of support will be provided to candidates by September 11.
Please note that for the purposes of submission, Lakehead University is willing to make the following contributions to Bantings that are submitted through our internal process:
For Banting applications ultimately successful in the national competition, the VP Research and Innovation (VPRI) will contribute a minimum of $5,000. In addition, the VPRI will contribute an additional $2,500 if matched by an additional $2,500 from the respective Faculty dean for a potential institutional contribution of $10,000. The match from the Dean must be requested by the proposed postdoctoral fellow supervisors and confirmed in writing.