Lakehead University has announced a call for nominations/applications for the Lakehead University Research Chairs (LURCs) program. These Chairs recognize high quality research, scholarly and creative achievement by providing a two-year research grant to support an individual’s program of research. The LURCs program is a key element in retaining outstanding research talent at our institution. In addition, this program will contribute towards the achievement of our Strategic Research Plan goal – to become one of the top 25 research-intensive universities in Canada in the next 5-10 years.
Lakehead University is seeking applications for two (2) new LURCs, one (1) in the disciplines supported by SSHRC/CIHR and one (1) in the disciplines supported by NSERC/CIHR.
Eligibility: All tenured faculty who are members of LUFA and have been employed by Lakehead University for at least five years are eligible. Current or past research chair holders such as CRCs, LURCs, Ontario Research Chairs, SHARCNET Chairs, etc., are not eligible to receive this award.
Value of Award: $50,000 research grant ($25,000/yr) tenable over two years beginning September 1, 2014. The Chair’s research grant may be used to support the following eligible expenditures: teaching release (Chairs are required to teach a minimum of 1.0 FCE per year), stipends for students, post-doctoral fellows and research associates, research and conference travel, equipment and grant-writing support. Chairs must receive the necessary approvals for teaching release using Lakehead University’s Release Time Request Form. Salary payments to Research Chairs in lieu of teaching release will not be considered as an eligible expense. Should funds remain at the end of the two year period, Chairs may request a maximum one year extension.
Application Process: As part of their submission, Candidates should include the following:
- Cover letter;
- Two-year research plan (maximum 3 pages, plus one additional page for references);
- Budget with a budget justification (maximum 1 page) (Release Time Request Form if applicable);
- Curriculum Vitae or CCV;
- Three external letters of reference (please note that scanned copies of the original letters of reference may be e-mailed directly by referees to Dr. Umed Panu by the deadline date, but the original of the letters of reference must be mailed by external referees to complete the file), and
- Supporting letter from the Faculty Dean.
Applications must be submitted to Dr. Umed Panu, Associate Vice-President (Research, Economic Development, and Innovation) no later than 4:30 July 2, 2014.
Selection Process and Criteria: The Advisory Committee to the President for Canada Research Chair Nominations has been given the mandate of making a recommendation on the selection of Lakehead University Research Chairs to the President for approval. The Advisory Committee to the President for Canada Research Chair Nominations will review all eligible Lakehead University Research Chair nominations/applications utilizing the following evaluation criteria:
- be outstanding and innovative researchers whose accomplishments have made a major impact in their fields;
- be recognized nationally and internationally as leaders in their fields;
- have a track-record of attracting external research funding;
- have an excellent record of mentoring undergraduate students, supervising graduate students and postdoctoral fellows (taking into account circumstances in the Department or practices in the relevant field or discipline) and as Chairs have the potential to attract excellent trainees and future researchers;
- have a record of participating in collaborative interdisciplinary research and contributing to research capacity building (e.g., development of new graduate programs); and
- have proposed an original, innovative research program of high quality that fits the priority research areas outlined in Lakehead University’s Strategic Academic and Research Plan.
Successful Lakehead University Research Chairs will be expected to give at least one public presentation as part of Lakehead’s annual Research and Innovation Week. Each Chair will also be required to submit to the Vice-President (Research, Economic Development, and Innovation) and faculty dean a report highlighting their activities and accomplishments during their term as a Lakehead University Research Chair at the end of their award period.
For additional information regarding the application process, please contact Anne Klymenko, Director, Office of Research Services at ext. 8223.