The Ontario Research Fund Research Excellence (ORF-RE) program promotes research excellence of strategic value to Ontario by supporting new leading-edge, transformative, and internationally significant research.
As a general rule, the minimum support provided by the ORF-RE to a project is $1 million. The maximum support provided is $4 million.
The ORF-RE focuses on scientific excellence and strong benefits to Ontarians. Applications are reviewed against the following criteria:
- Research Excellence: Scientific merit, quality of research, and expertise of research team
- Research Impact: Anticipated value to Ontarians in the following three categories:
- Economic Benefits
- Societal Benefits
- Research Translation: Strategy for achieving Research Impact
- Project Management and Governance: Management of the project, including governance structure, sustainability, budget, and milestones
The program will contribute towards eligible operating costs of an approved research project to a maximum of 1/3 of the total project costs, with 1/3 of the remainder coming from the applicant institution(s) and 1/3 from the private sector.
ORF-RE Round 7 is a general funding round. While Round 7 is open to all disciplines, the Ministry particularly encourages applications in three focus areas:
- Bio-economy and clean technologies
- Advanced health technologies
- Digital media and information & communications technologies
Interested applicants must submit a non-binding letter of intent to the Ministry of Research and Innovation, through their institution no later than February 12, 2014. Since the letter of intent requires sign off by the University, faculty members are asked to submit their letters of intent to the Office of Research Services by February 7, 2014.
For more information: http://www.ontario.ca/business-and-economy/ontario-research-fund-research-excellence