AKI is an Indigenous-governed research institute with a mandate to support mino-bimaadiziwin (the good life) amongst Anishinaabe peoples, nations and territories through research situated in Anishinaabe Kendaasiwin and good relationships.
Overall, the Institute (AKI) seeks to:
- Privilege Anishinaabe ways of knowing and being in research;
- Advance research excellence defined by Anishinaabe peoples and principles;
- Expand and support Indigenous governed and driven research;
- Support mino-bimaadiziwin, self-determination and decision-making amongst Anishinaabe peoples, nations, and territories through relevant research and other activities; and
- Support community building and mobilization between Indigenous peoples.
AKI received Senate approval in 2021 and was birthed through ceremony on May 30, 2022.
Contact: Dr. Lana Ray, Director
807-343-8010 ext.7130 AKI Director
807-343-8010 ext.7131 AKI Admin