The Department of Music was established in 1988 and has grown in size and reputation over the last three decades. Our music degree programs have been carefully designed to offer students a fine balance between academic and performance courses. Graduates of our programs have launched successful careers as music teachers, professional musicians, musicologists, composers, music librarians, arts administrators, music critics, music professors, and have followed many other exciting career paths.
Music students at Lakehead enjoy a comprehensive range of performance and academic courses in a uniquely supportive learning environment. The Department of Music has long cherished its close association with the renowned Thunder Bay Symphony Orchestra, a relationship that provides outstanding mentorship opportunities for Lakehead University music students.
Interested in Music?
As a music student at Lakehead University, you will...
- Acquire advanced skills in music performance through individual instruction in voice, piano, guitar, saxophone, organ, or any orchestral instrument.
- Participate in various music ensembles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive range of performance and academic courses in a uniquely supportive learning environment.
- Discover new career paths in music.
The Program will Include:
- Critical thinking, writing, and analytical skills through the study of music history and music theory.
- Professional skills through the study of subjects such as Musicianship and Conducting.
- Creative thought processing through the study of Composition and Orchestration.
- Specialized knowledge through focused courses such as Music in Canada, World Music, Music Criticism, and a variety of specialized Topics courses in music.
Events & Concerts
Homecoming with Music Performances
October 2, 2020, 7:00 pm ZOOM Event
Congratulations to Drs. Jacoba and Chugunov for receiving Teaching Innovation Awards
Congratulations to Dr. Sarah Jacoba and Dr. Evgeny Chugunov, who each received a Teaching Innovation Award at the December 2, 2019 Senate meeting.
|Raag-Rung Music Circle Donates to the Department of Music Scholarship|
|Dr. Chugunov receives Innovation in Teaching Award|