In 2006, the Lakehead University experience was brought to Central Ontario with the establishment of the Orillia Campus. The Orillia Campus opened its doors at Heritage Place with a charter class of 104 students.
From our early beginnings at Heritage Place in downtown Orillia to our Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) certified campus on 85 acres of land in West Orillia, Lakehead Orillia’s presence in the city of Orillia has increased dramatically.
437 degrees conferred in 2018**
48% of our student population comes from Simcoe County
*Full-time equivalent (academic year)(Source:Lakehead University Student Information Official Files)
**Degrees conferred are reported by calendar year (Source: Lakehead University Student Official Information files).
- $80 to $95 million total impact on Simcoe County
- Lakehead Orillia contributes approximately $122.7-million per year to Ontario’s GDP
- The Orillia campus is located on an 85-acre site in west Orillia
- Facilities at 500 University Ave. include Simcoe Hall (academic building), residence, cafeteria and bookstore
- The Faculty of Education is located in downtown Orillia at 1 Colborne St.
- 240-room residence – open year-round for conference services and summer accommodation
- Simcoe Hall features two lecture theatres, a telepresence classroom, 40- and 60-seat classrooms, Orsi Family Learning Commons, and the Harvie Legacy Library
- Campus built to Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) certification standards
- Four varsity athletic teams
- Six competitive extramural athletic teams
- 2006 - Orillia campus opens in downtown Orillia at Heritage Place with a charter class of 104 students
- 2010 - Orillia campus opens its University Avenue Academic Building, followed by residence and cafeteria buildings, all built to Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) design standards
- 2010 - Orillia campus launches Canada's first Interdisciplinary Honours BA/BSc in Environmental Sustainability
- 2012 - Lakehead University establishes a partnership with Georgian College
- 2014 - Lakehead Orillia establishes the Research Centre for Sustainable Communities
- 2016 - Lakehead Orillia celebrates its 10th Anniversary