2018-2019 Enhancing Instruction in Early Literacy, Inquiry-Based Kindergarten Classrooms
- SSHRC Partnership Engage Grant
- Co-Investigator Dr. Sonia Mastrangelo
- Partner Organization: Simcoe County District School Board
- Project Description: The Ontario full-day, inquiry-based curriculum for Kindergarten (Ministry of Education, 2016) requires educators to provide both child-initiated free play and structured play-based learning experiences for children to investigate, problem solve, think creatively, and share their learning. Our institutional partner has identified several key priorities for their Kindergarten educators including increased professional development to understand the program document, plan and implement inquiry effectively, and integrate literacy learning within play. Our action research project bridges the gap between theory and practice in literacy instruction and inquiry-based pedagogy for Kindergarten educators. As we work towards improving educators' ability to effectively implement the Kindergarten Program and support their students' transition to formal education, the PI and CI will collect data on program implementation in participating classrooms to support our institutional partner's leadership and decision-making around professional learning for their educators.
2018-2019 Children's Measured Reading Performance using Traditional and Digital Reading Assessments
- Project Description: Traditional reading assessment measures require the child to read aloud to the teacher and answer questions or retell content read. These assessments are time-consuming. Current trends towards computerized comprehension questions have emerged, where children are assigned a level of proficiency, often without reading to the teacher. How does reading achievement compare using these measures in terms of accuracy and thoroughness?