Dr. Monica Flegel
- BA – Honours English, University of Saskatchewan
- MA – English, Dalhousie University
- PhD – English, University of Alberta
- I teach in three areas: Victorian literature, cultural studies, and animal studies. The following represent the courses I teach in these fields:
- English 1117: Introduction to Popular Culture
- English 3953: Cultural Studies
- I also teach Special Topics and seminar classes at the 3rd and 4th year levels on Fan and Media Studies
- English 3430: Victorian Literature and culture
- I also teach seminar classes at the 4th year and graduate level on The Endangered Child in 19th Century Literature, and on Victorian Animalities
- I teach seminar classes and graduate courses focused on representations of animals in literature and culture
My publications focus on cultural studies: specifically, Victorian literature and culture, animal studies, child studies, and contemporary fan and media studies. I have published extensively on the subject of cruelty to animals and children; on Victorian animal autobiographies; and, with Dr. Jenny Roth from Gender and Women’s Studies, on fanfiction and its relation to legitimate authorship and copyright law; and with Dr. Judith Leggatt, on comics culture. My work has been published in scholarly journals such as Children’s Literature, Victorian Literature and Culture, the Journal for Critical Animal Studies, Transformative Works and Culture, Continuum, and the Journal of Fan Studies.
Flegel, Monica and Judith Leggatt. Superhero Cultural Wars: Politics, Marketing, and Social Justice in Marvel Comics . https://www.bloomsbury.com/ca/superhero-culture-wars-9781350148642
Flegel, Monica and Christopher Parkes (eds). Cruel Children in Popular Texts and Cultures. https://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9783319722740
Flegel, Monica. Pets and Domesticity in Victorian Literature and Culture. https://www.routledge.com/Pets-and-Domesticity-in-Victorian-Literature-a...
Flegel, Monica. Conceptualizing Cruelty to Children in Nineteenth Century England. https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/9781317162346