- Faculty & Staff Directory
- Helpdesk Ticket System
- Website Support
- Colleague - Web UI
- Forms Database
I teach a wide variety of courses for the Department of History and Northern Studies on the history of the Canadian, Ontario, and circumpolar north. I also frequently teach courses that cover my professional experience and major and minor areas of training. These include, but are not limited to: Public History, modern Canada, colonial North America, history of socialism/labour, political history, and film and media history. At the graduate level, I teach and supervise students in the MA History program, the MES in Northern Environments and Cultures, and the PhD in Forest Sciences.
I am currently an Associate at the Wilson Institute for Canadian History at McMaster University and an Adjunct Professor in the School of Environment, Resources & Sustainability at the University of Waterloo. Beginning in July 2017, I returned as Chair of the Department, having served in that capacity between 2012 and 2016.
My research is wide-ranging, but generally deals with the historical political, economic, and social issues relating to northern and remote communities in Canada and the circumpolar north. I am currently undertaking research on the history of politics and development in Northwestern Ontario between 1935 and 2000 and a comparative study on sustainable community development in Northern Ontario, Finland, and Uruguay funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. Past research has focused on early Canadian labour and socialist organizations operating in Northwestern Ontario and film and media history. See my Publications and Film & Media pages for how the resulting research has been mobilized.
Community and Professional Activities:
I currently both volunteer and sit on the Board of Directors of a number of regional, provincial, national, and international organizations. These include, but are not limited to:
- President, Alumni Association of Lakehead University
- President, Canadian International Council - Thunder Bay Branch
- Vice-President and President-Elect, The Champlain Society
- Vice President of the Ontario Historical Society
- Vice-President, Thunder Bay Historical Museum Society
- Board of Directors of the Multicultural History Society of Ontario
- Executive Member, Archives Association of Ontario - Northwestern Ontario Archivist's Association
- Co-editor of the Thunder Bay Historical Museum Society's peer-reviewed Papers & Records.
- International advisory committee for Faravid: Historian ja arkeologian tutkimuksen aikakauskirja [Journal for Historical Research and Archaeological Studies] published out of Oulu University, Finland