FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES AND HUMANITIES COUNCIL
September 13, 2018
A meeting of the Faculty Council was held on Thursday, September 13th, at 10:00 am in ATAC Board Room 3004/ Orillia 3041 – Teleconference/PolyCom.
Introduction of New Staff Member
L. Chambers and I. Lemée introduced Elaine Doiron, the new administrative assistant for the Departments of Indigenous Learning, Languages and Women’s Studies.
Approval of Agenda
It was moved by A. Guttman and seconded by M. Beaulieu that the agenda be approved.
Approval of Minutes
It was moved by A. Guttman and seconded by I. Lemée that the amended minutes from May 9, 2018 be approved.
Business Arising from the Minutes
Dean’s Report to Faculty Council, September 13, 2018.
1. Communication: Sue and I have requested an email distribution list so I can correspond directly with everyone—staff and faculty—at once. I will try not to get you info more that once a week, but I would like to keep everyone updated, send out dates and meeting reminders, etc.
2. Enrollments update: 1266 fulltime students all campuses, all programs (Last year, 1273) down 7. Retain these students.
3. Budget updates
4. Strategic plan/academic plan process
5. Please come to a fall faculty gathering—all staff and faculty, families. Wed., Oct. 3. Potluck, at our house 431 Ambrose St.
i) English: Renewal of Dr. J. Roth – Internal Adjunct Professor
It was moved by A. Guttman and seconded by L. Chambers that Dr. Jennifer Roth be renewed as Internal Adjunct Professor in the Department of English.
ii) Languages: Calendar Changes
It was moved by I. Lemée and seconded by M. Beaulieu that the calendar change for Languages be approved as amended. (2018-SOC-6627 – Modification to French 4901).
It was decided that the calendar change for Languages, 2018-SOC-6657 – Courses Modifications-UG-Languages-French for Beginners. Changes of Specification, be relegated back to the department for further revisions.
1. Review of the Terms of Reference of the Social Sciences and Humanities Constitution.
D. Ivison asked that faculty members review the Social Sciences and Humanities Constitution. He stated that any suggestions be sent directly to him.
Next Faculty Council Meeting – Friday, October 19, 2018; ATAC 3004/OA 3041
It was moved by M. Beaulieu and seconded by R. Koster that the meeting be adjourned. (11:01 am)
Thunder Bay Campus
Date: October 19, 2018
To: Members, Council of the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities
Subject: COUNCIL MEETING
There will be a meeting of the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities Faculty Council on:
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 19 FROM 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM in ATAC 3004 / OA 3041.
52996# <== Please remember the # key.
Presentation: Dr. David Barnett, Acting Provost and Vice-President (Academic)
Academic Plan Consultation
Link to Plan:
1. Approval of Agenda.
2. Approval of the following Minutes: Thursday, September 13, 2018.
3. Business Arising from the Minutes.
4. Dean’s Report.
5. Departmental/School Reports.
Calendar Changes: 2018-SOC-6670 – Courses-Modifications-UG-History-Changes to 4th year title.
Recommendation: Dr. Livio DiMatteo as Internal Adjunct for the Department of History – (Recommendation Memo.) CV available on request; please contact S. Viitala)
ii) Interdisciplinary Studies:
Recommendation: Dr. Faye Williams as External Adjunct Professor for the Department of Interdisciplinary Studies. (Recommendation memo.) CV available on request; please contact S. Viitala.
Recommendation: Dr. Ryan Tonkens as External Adjunct Professor for the Department of Philosophy. (Recommendation Memo.) CV available on request; please contact S. Viitala.
6. Other Business.
i) Update: Revisions to the Faculty Constitution (click here to access draft constitution)
7. Next Faculty Council Meeting: Friday, November 9, 2018; ATAC 5036/OA 3041