Monday, April 26, 2010 (All day)
Date: April 21, 2010
To: Members, Council of the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities
From: Victor Smith, Chair, Social Sciences and Humanities Faculty Council
Subject: COUNCIL MEETING
There will be a meeting of the Council of the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities
ON MONDAY, APRIL 26, 2010 AT 10:00 AM TO 12 NOON IN ROOM 5035 (ATAC BUILDING).
1. Approval of Agenda.
2. Approval of the January 7, 2010 Minutes.
3. Business Arising from the Minutes.
4. Registrar's Report.
5. Dean's Report.
6. Departmental/School Reports.
i) Northern Studies - Calendar Changes (please click on link to access)
7. Orillia Report.
8. Other Business.
i) Academic Dishonesty
ii) External Adjuncts - Orillia Campus
VICTOR SMITH, Chair, Social Sciences and Humanities Faculty Council.
FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES AND HUMANITIES COUNCIL
January 7, 2010
A meeting of the Faculty Council was held on January 7, 2010 at 2:30 pm in the ATAC Board Room 5035.
Approval of Agenda
It was moved by P. Jasen and seconded by M. MacLean that the revised agenda be approved.
Approval of the Minutes
It was moved by S.D. Stone and seconded by M. Nisenholt that the minutes of January 7, 2010, be approved.
Business Arising from Minutes
Fall Preview Day
There was discussion as to whether or not the display in the Agora was a success as there were a limited number of students who attended. It was agreed that the academic sessions held in each department/school were very successful.
B. Nelson was not able to attend the meeting but asked that if there were specific questions for her as a result of the meeting to please let her know.
Dean's Report for Faculty Council
January 7, 2010 - ATAC 5035
1. Budget: All of the deans have been asked to make a 3% cut. For our Faculty, that is $310,000. I'll be asking all Chairs to tell me what their sessional stipend needs are for next year, and to think about whether there is any room for cutting back there. I will also be asking Chairs to let me know what the implications would be if my sessional budget were cut and I was not able to provide as many stipends as this year. There is also still talk of hiring possibilities for this year, and so Chairs/Director should be ready to make a case for hiring needs in their departments/school.
2. Faculty of Graduate Studies Membership Committee. See attached for a list of faculty members who were elected to this committee.
3. Faculty Strategic Planning Committee. Now that the committee is elected, I would like to get started with meetings. Sue will contact the elected members for an initial meeting.
Respectfully submitted by Dr. Gillian Siddall, Dean, Social Sciences and Humanities.
Report on Meeting of SSHRC Leaders
T. Dufresne submitted a report on the Meeting of SSHRC Leaders, December 3-4, 2009. The report can be found on the Social Sciences and Humanities' home page. The link is as follows: http://facssh.lakeheadu.ca/facm/suportdoc.php?sid=170.
i) Department of History - Calendar Changes - Undergraduate
It was moved by P. Jasen and seconded by J. Leggatt that the Undergraduate calendar change be approved.
ii) Department of History - Calendar Changes - Graduate
It was moved by P. Jasen and seconded by S.S. Islam that Graduate calendar change be approved.
iv) Department of Indigenous Learning
It was moved by R. Robson and seconded by S.S. Islam that the calendar changes be approved.
v) Northern Studies - Calendar Changes
It was moved by S.D. Stone and seconded by M.N. Rinn© that the calendar changes be approved.
A. den Otter stated that she will be talking to the Chairs shortly about next year's courses. The budget process is underway and they will be requesting tenure track positions in English, History, Media Studies, Political Studies and Sociology. Discussion followed with regard to the hiring process. A. den Otter stated that each department/school would be involved through videoconferencing if not in person. It was stated that there should be clarity for all aspects of the process and that the process already in place be used. G. Siddall said she would be working out some sort of hiring process with Orillia Campus.
M.N. Rinn© reported that the C.D. Howe Report is now posted. It stated that research was affected by the Braun Building fire. At the last town hall meeting, a statement was made that the fire did not affect any research. It was agreed that it did affect research as many research material was lost.
The meeting adjourned at 3:45 pm.
Thunder Bay Campus
A. den Otter