ASSOCIATE SECURITY GUARD (2)
This position is subject to rotating shifts and day or night duty
Competition # OR-USW-18-02
Under general supervision, reporting to the Director, Security Services, the Associate Security Guard performs duties for the purpose of preventing theft and vandalism, maintaining order, providing security for all University personnel, buildings and property, controlling traffic and parking, guiding students and visitors, and undertaking special investigation duties as required.
- Patrols assigned areas or routes for the purpose of public safety and the detection and prevention of thefts, vandalism; ensures that doors, windows, safes, etc. are properly secured;
- Maintains fire watch while on patrol and reports all matters requiring attention in the interests of safety, security, maintenance and repair;
- Provides assistance and direction to visitors, staff and students;
- Checks unknown or suspicious persons and reports irregularities to the Director of Security Services;
- Maintains traffic and parking control as required;
- Investigates, reports and provides assistance in vehicle accidents, injuries or sudden illness and other emergencies or unusual occurrences;
- Performs special investigation duties and prepares reports as necessary;
- Complete and submit shift reports and other forms as required;
- Perform Associate Security Guard duties as required; and
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Must possess a Law and Security Administration or Police Foundations Diploma, and/or University degree or equivalent combination of education (minimum Grade 12) and experience;
- Must possess a valid Ontario Private Security & Investigative Services License;
- Sufficiently proficient in the use of PCs to utilize reporting and searching programs to assist in daily duties, submission of reports, investigations and familiarity in Datatel Colleague systems an asset;
- Knowledge of investigative techniques and/or experience in security an asset;
- Familiar with or capable of learning the basic operation of various security video systems and retrieval of video data relating to incident;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong customer service, interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion with emphasis on good human relations, courtesy, deportment and appearance;
- Ability to handle all security matters in a trustworthy and confidential manner;
- Ability to perform regular patrolling Security Guard duties (includes patrolling Lakehead University campus buildings and grounds on foot, by car and by bicycle; includes climbing stairs);
- Must possess a valid driver’s license (class “G” minimum) and maintaining a driving record ensuring insurable status for the operation of university vehicles;
- Willingness to perform rotating shift duty;
- Possess a valid first aid certificate and training in fire prevention;
- Familiarity with the Occupational Health & Safety Act, its regulations and other health and safety related legislation and standards.
As a condition of employment, a criminal record check and a three year drivers abstract must be provided by the successful candidate.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a single PDF document containing a cover letter, resume and the contact information for 3 professional references, quoting competition #OR-USW-18-02to:
Office of Human Resources
Orillia Academic Building
500 University Ave.
We appreciate your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be notified.
Lakehead University is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals including women, racialized persons, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and other equity-seeking groups. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. This is in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements.
Lakehead University is committed to supporting an accessible environment. Applicants requiring accommodation during the interview process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (807) 343.8334 or firstname.lastname@example.org to make the appropriate arrangements.