Job ID: USW-23-02
Job Title: Security Guard
Department: Office of Security Services
Campus: Thunder Bay, ON
Status: Full Time, Permanent
Job Category: USW
Date Posted: July 13, 2023
Closing Date: Open until filled
Why Lakehead University?
Thunder Bay is one of Canada’s top emerging cities. Here you will find a mix of modern city living and the best of nature – all on your doorstep. Thunder Bay provides small city affordability, big city opportunities and the bonus of a superior lifestyle. When it comes to location, nature and cost of living, Thunder Bay is one of the best places to live in Canada. For more on the vibrant city of Thunder Bay, visit thunderbay.ca.
At Lakehead University we challenge the conventional to provide a university experience that’s far from ordinary. Your unique ideas will be respected and encouraged. Join our thriving academic community where you can make a real difference through innovation and collaboration.
Lakehead is a comprehensive University with a reputation for innovative programs and cutting-edge research. In 2022, for the third year in a row, Lakehead University was included in the top 100 of the Times Higher Education Impact Rankings. Lakehead is the highest ranked university in the world with under 10,000 students. Maclean’s has once again included Lakehead University among Canada’s top 10 primarily undergraduate universities in the magazine’s 2023 University Rankings.
About this Job
Under the general supervision and reporting to the Director, Security Services, the Security Guard performs duties for the purpose of preventing theft and vandalism, maintaining order, providing security for all University personnel, buildings and property, controlling traffic and parking, guiding students and visitors, and undertaking special investigation duties as required. Incumbents in this classification are subject to rotating shifts and day or night duty.
- Patrols campus to prevent and discover, observe and report offences, including potential intruders and criminal offenders, trespasser and those in breach of university policy;
- Conducts patrols for insecure areas, fire and other threats to campus structures including equipment malfunctions and makes reports and takes appropriate action;
- Engages in parking and smoking control enforcement;
- Responds to inquiries and follows up with required information or responses;
- Responds to emergency medical calls for service on campus;
- Provides walking escort services for faculty, staff and students;
- Works with other Security Guards, Emergency First Response Team (EFRT), and Emergency Services (Police, Ambulance, Fire) as required;
- Responsible for assisting with access to restricted areas;
- Provide assistance and direction to visitors, staff, and students;
- Enter data in various computer programs on a daily basis;
- Assists with University lost and found service;
- Completes and submits timely reports and administrative forms as required;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Mandatory requirement: Must posses a Law and Security Administration or Police Foundations Diploma, and/or University degree or equivalent combination of education (minimum Grade 12) and experience;
- Mandatory requirements:
- Must possess a valid Ontario Private Security & Investigative Services License;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license (class “G” minimum) and maintaining a driving record ensuring insurable status for the operation of university vehicles;
- Must possess a valid first aid certificate and training in fire prevention;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong customer service, interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion with emphasis on good human relations, courtesy, deportment and appearance;
- Sufficiently proficient in the use of PCs to utilize reporting and searching programs to assist in daily duties, submission of reports, investigations and familiarity in Datatel Colleague systems an asset;
- Knowledge of investigative techniques and/or experience in security an asset;
- Ability to handle all security matters in a trustworthy and confidential manner;
- Familiarity with the Occupational Health & Safety Act, its regulations and other health and safety related legislation and standards.
- Incumbents in Security Guard classification are subject to rotating shifts and day or night duty
- Patrolling Security Guard duties include patrolling Lakehead University campus buildings and grounds on foot, by car and by bicycle; includes climbing stairs
What do We Offer?
This position offers a competitive remuneration package including salary, comprehensive benefits package, life insurance, pension plan, and tuition waiver.
How to Apply
Interested applicants may apply by clicking on this link to this Google Form and attaching your cover
letter and resume in word or PDF format.
If you are experiencing any issues with the Google Form, please email email@example.com for assistance.
We appreciate your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be notified. Lakehead University is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals including women, racialized persons, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and other equity-seeking groups. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. This is in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements.
Lakehead University is committed to supporting an accessible environment. Applicants requiring accommodation during the interview process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (807) 343.8334 or firstname.lastname@example.org to make appropriate arrangements