The Office of Human Rights and Equity aims to realize the rights of all students, faculty, staff and visitors of Lakehead University through human rights protection, promotion and implementation. The Office ensures that Lakehead University is a human rights compliant, inclusive and accommodating space that champions diversity. Furthermore, it works to prevent and respond to discrimination, harassment and sexual violence.
Lakehead University is compliant with the Ontario Human Rights Code which gives everyone equal rights and opportunities without discrimination because of age, ancestry, colour, race, citizenship, ethnic origin, place of origin, creed, disability, family status, marital status (including single status), gender identity, gender expression, sex (including pregnancy and breastfeeding), and sexual orientation.
The three main functions of the Office of Human Rights and Equity are i)policy development, research and advisory services; ii)outreach and education; and iii)complaint processing and resolution. Namely we will support Lakehead University users with:
Policy Development, Research and Advisory services
- Advise/input/develop human rights related policy and procedure at the University
- Sit on key University committees that govern/oversee human rights functions
- Support thought leadership and the development of innovative approaches that further Human Rights in Universities
Outreach and Education
- Provide information and orientation on the Office of Human Rights and Equity to both campuses
- Provide training and resources on key human rights areas
- Attend on behalf of the University external human rights fora
- Support structures and events at the University that help equity seeking groups including student committees, faculty and staff
Complaint Processing and Resolution
- Discrimination complaints
- Sexual Violence Disclosure or complaints
- Accommodation complaints
If you need support in any of the above areas please contact:
Office of Human Rights and Equity
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan 2019-2024
Lakehead University’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan (the Plan) is the culminating product of a year-long process of planning, research and consultation by the President’s taskforce of the same name, “the Taskforce”. Composed of senior administrators, academics and student leaders, this taskforce ensured that both the process for developing the Plan and its contents would be a coordinated mechanism for driving equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) change at Lakehead University (Lakehead) over five years. The Plan should be considered a living document, meaning that although its vision, mission and goals will not change, the activities will be assessed year by year to ensure that the Plan is realized.
Click here to view the Action Plan