Workplace Leaves and absences for non-union employees
Read the full policy on Workplace Leaves and absences for non-union employees
1. The President will advise the Board of the results of a review, by the President or by a committee appointed by the President, of any Vice President up for renewal of term.
2. If the incumbent is to be reappointed it will be considered information to the Board and the length of the renewal term will be conveyed.
3. If the incumbent is not to be reappointed, the President will follow the Appointment: Vice Presidents policy to search for a new individual.Read the full policy on Vice-Presidents: Reappointment
1. The President, upon authorization of the Board if it is a new position, will establish and chair a Search Committee with representation from the Board. The President may engage an external consultant to assist in the search process.
Tuition Waiver - Staff and Faculty
This program is intended to provide eligible employees and their family members with the opportunity of furthering their educational/career development by making Lakehead University undergraduate and graduate courses available to them at reduced cost.Read the full policy on Tuition Waiver - Staff and Faculty
Staff Vacation Policy (Senior Management)
Staff Vacation Policy (Salaried Employees)
It is the policy of the University to encourage the personal development of its staff in the interests of promoting internal growth and enhanced administration.
While it is true that only the individual can be responsible for his or her own development, the University believes it has a responsibility to create an environment in which individuals will feel encouraged to develop their capabilities. Towards this end, the University expects its Departmental supervisors to:
Senator Comments re Senior Administration
Read the full policy on Senator Comments re Senior Administration
Resignation/Termination - Notification to Human Resources
Because of the University's computerized method of paying full time employees, it is possible that a resignation or termination notice for an employee might be delayed in reaching the Human Resources Department beyond the point at which an unearned paycheque was prepared and distributed.
Remuneration, Casual and Part-time
It is the Policy of Lakehead University to establish and administer equitable remuneration schedules for its part-time employees related to the nature of the work to be performed, the anticipated duration of employment and the skills, abilities and experience of the employee.
Recruitment, Selection, Hiring (Non-Academic)
To describe a process which reflects due diligence when hiring and replacing staff in order to ensure all financial and organizational implications are carefully studied and considered.
It is the policy of the University to:
1. employ salaried personnel best suited to the required qualifications of the position within the confines of established salaries and legal interests; and,Read the full policy on Recruitment, Selection, Hiring (Non-Academic)
Paid Holidays, Full Time Employees unless otherwise excluded via collective agreement
The University recognizes the following as paid holidays:
New Year's Day
Overtime for non-union employees
Lakehead University may occasionally require employees to work overtime in order to complete various assignments. Every effort will be made to avoid employees having to work overtime on a continual basis.
This policy addresses administration of overtime hours and associated premiums and will:
1. ensure compliance with existing legislation,
2. ensure accurate records are maintained,
3. ensure individuals are compensated correctly, and
4. provide a fair approach.
It is the policy of Lakehead University to assist newly appointed faculty and staff members in the payment of the necessary moving and travel expenses incurred in their relocation to Thunder Bay.
It is the intent and desire of the University to delineate those employees who are eligible for moving and travel assistance and to outline the conditions and provisions which apply to the receipt of this assistance.
This policy applies to:Read the full policy on Moving/Travel Allowances
When a candidate for a faculty or non-faculty position visits the University from out of town, all expenses should be handled by the department concerned (not by the Human Resources Department).
Harassment and Discrimination Policy and Procedures
In order to provide guidelines to the Senate Budget Committee in considering staff requests and in order to provide advice to the President from the Senate Academic Committee, Senate approved the following guidelines relating to faculty staffing requests:
Employment Practices, General, Non-Academic
It is the intent of this policy to establish guidelines in employment which are fair to all and conducive to optimum employee satisfaction and performance.
Employment of Former Personnel
Employment Equity, Faculty
The Faculty Employment Equity Policy is under review, therefore, it has been removed from the Policy Website.
Read the full policy on Employment Equity, Faculty
In demonstrating the commitment to achieving equal employment
opportunity, Lakehead University undertakes to initiate and maintain an employment equity program for its women employees that:
- will effectively eliminate barriers to their full and equal participation in employment; and
- will facilitate the educational and personal development of women in order to increase their legitimate access to non-traditional and/or leadership roles.
Read the full policy on Employment Equity
Employee Code of Conduct
Table of Contents
- Purpose and Application
- Standards of Ethical Conduct
Cultural Protocol Policy
Lakehead University (Thunder Bay and Orillia campuses) respects and supports the Aboriginal tradition of smudging that includes the use of four sacred medicines (sage, cedar, tobacco and sweetgrass).
Lakehead University recognizes and supports Aboriginal traditions practised on campus by Aboriginal students, faculty and staff in classrooms, student gathering places, offices, cultural events and meetings in various locations throughout the University.
Authority and ResponsibilityRead the full policy on Cultural Protocol Policy
Absenteeism, Inclement Weather
Employees subject to pay loss could apply a vacation day, accumulated overtime, or make arrangements, appropriate to their supervisor, to make up for time lost or to off set the monetary loss.
All employees working shifts that fall outside normal University working hours must check with their supervisors to confirm their working schedule for any working day.