- For Staff
- Faculty & Staff Directory
- Helpdesk Ticket System
- Website Support
- Colleague - Web UI
- Forms Database
The Summer Lakehead University Work Study Program (SWSP) provides full-time employment opportunities to eligible undergraduate students during the spring/summer term. These positions provide students with an invaluable opportunity to work with, and be mentored by, Lakehead University faculty and staff.
The SWSP is an opportunity for departments and faculties to employ a student's talents for full-time employment (30 hours/week is recommended) through the provision of a $2,250 maximum subsidy (includes wage and payroll deductions) based on 480 hours worked (16 weeks).
The SWSP Job Request application is available here. Login as an "Employers" and select the following: Jobs & Volunteer Postings> Summer LU Work Study Program (SWSP)> Post a Job
All proposed positions submitted before the published deadline will be given equal consideration. However, some requests may not be approved particularly if multiple requests are made by the same department. This is to ensure that work placement positions are available in as many departments as possible.
There is no guarantee that positions submitted after the deadline will be considered and/or approved.
Unapproved SWSP positions are ineligible for the subsidy.
Once your employment position has been approved, please make sure the student(s) hired are eligible (see below).
NSERC-USRA students are not eligible for SWSP positions.
Out of fairness to all eligible students, employers should wait until after the closing date of the posting to contact those individuals who they wish to interview. All students should receive approval before they apply for a SWSP position, not after. Qualified students will be provided with a personalized Confirmation of Eligibility and Hiring Form which should be attached to their application package (cover letter and resume) or provided at the time of the interview.
To qualify for SWSP eligibility, students must:
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (international students are ineligible)
- currently be a full-time undergraduate student (fall & winter) and registered in a minimum 60% course load (40% course load for students with a permanent disability). Graduate students are ineligible.
- have a minimum average of 60% in the previous academic year (high school, college or university)
- be returning as a full-time undergraduate OR graduate student in September 2019
- apply for eligibility via the MySuccess portal and receive approval (Confirmation of Eligibility and Hiring Form)
- must attend the mandatory Student Worker Training & Orientation Workshop hosted by Student Awards & Financial Aid and the Student Success Centre.
Students must also meet one of the following conditions to demonstrate financial need during the 2018/19 academic year:
- have applied for and received OSAP or Out-of-Province student aid; or
- have applied for and received bursary assistance; or
- have been approved for eligibility for 2018/19 work study program
Students who do not currently attend Lakehead University are not eligible for the SWSP. Should a student resign from his/her SWSP position, re-hiring of that same student by another department or faculty is not permitted.
WHIMS (safety) training and AODA (accessibility standards) training are mandatory for all new employees. For more information, please contact Human Resources by telephone at (807) 343-8334, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- February 1-28: Employer portal open to submit a job posting (deadline extended if positions available).
- March 1: Job posting go live on portal. Students can apply once eligibility confirmed.
- March 1- May 20: Student portal open to submit Eligibility Application (before applying for a SWSP position).
- May 20: The final day for students to apply eligibility.
- May 24: Final day to hire a student for a SWSP position.
- Work Term: April 28 – August 31, 2019