- For Staff
- Faculty & Staff Directory
- Helpdesk Ticket System
- Website Support
- Colleague - Web UI
- Forms Database
The Lakehead University Work Study Program (LUWSP) provides part-time employment opportunities to eligible undergraduate students during the academic year. These positions provide students with an invaluable opportunity to work with, and be mentored by, Lakehead University faculty and staff.
The LUWSP is an opportunity for departments and faculties to employ a student's talents for part-time employment (10 hours/week is recommended) through the provision of a $1,000 per semester maximum subsidy (includes wage and payroll deductions).
Employment through the LUWSP for 2018/19 is September 2, 2018 to March 16, 2019. All students must be hired by October 31.
The LUWSP Job Request application is available here. Login as an "Employer" and select the following: Jobs > On Campus Work Study > Post a Job
All proposed positions submitted before the published deadline will be given equal consideration. However, some requests may not be approved particularly if multiple requests are made by the same department. This is to ensure that work placement positions are available in as many departments as possible.
There is no guarantee that positions submitted after the deadline will be considered and/or approved.
We are not responsible for providing a wage subsidy for posted LUWSP positions that have not yet been approved.
Once your employment position has been approved, please make sure the student(s) hired are eligible (see below).
NSERC-USRA students are not eligible for LUWSP positions.
Out of fairness to all eligible students, employers should wait until after the closing date of the posting to contact those individuals who they wish to interview. All students must receive approval before they apply for a LUWSP position, not after. Qualified students will be provided with a personalized Confirmation of Eligibility and Hiring Form which must be attached to their employment application (cover letter and resume) or provided at the time of the interview.
Students hired must demonstrate financial need in the current study period (September to April) and meet the following criteria:
- Must be an undergraduate student (graduate students are ineligible)
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (international students are ineligible)
- Must have a minimum average of 60% in the previous academic year (high school, college or university)
- Must be a full-time undergraduate student (fall & winter) and registered in a minimum 60% course load (40% course load for students with a permanent disability)
- Must demonstrate financial need, be approved for a bursary and/or be approved for provincial Student Financial Aid
- Must apply each term for eligibility via the MySuccess portal
- Must attend the mandatory Student Worker Training & Orientation Workshop hosted by Student Awards & Financial Aid and the Student Success Centre.
Students who do not currently attend Lakehead University are not eligible for the LUWSP.
Should a student resign from his/her LUWSP position, re-hiring of that same student by another department or faculty is not permitted.
WHIMS (safety) training and AODA (accessibility standards) training are mandatory for all new employees. For more information, please contact Human Resources by telephone at (807) 343-8334, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- August 1: The first day for employers to submit an employment position.
- August 15: The last day for employers to submit an employment position.
- August 16: The first day for students to apply LUWSP eligibility
- October 25: The final day for students to apply LUWSP eligibility
- October 31: The deadline to hire a student for a LUWSP position.
- Work Term: Sept 2, 2018- March 16, 2019