The LUWSP-SS provides full-time employment opportunities to eligible undergraduate students during the spring/summer term. It is an opportunity for departments and faculties to employ a student's talents full-time through the provision of a $2,250 maximum subsidy (includes wage and payroll deductions) and is based on 480 hours worked (30 hours/week minimum over 16 weeks).
The LUWSP-SS Job Request application is available here. Login as an "Employer" or "Staff & Faculty" using your myInfo credentials and select the following: Jobs & Volunteer Postings> Work Study Program (LUWSP-SS) > Post a Job button
All proposed positions submitted before the published deadline will be given equal consideration. However, some requests may not be approved particularly if multiple requests are made by the same department. This is to ensure that work placement positions are available in as many departments as possible.
There is no guarantee that positions submitted after the deadline will be considered and/or approved. Only approved positions are eligible for the subsidy.
Once your employment position has been approved, please make sure the student hired is eligible (see below). NSERC-USRA students are ineligible for LUWSP-SS positions.
Out of fairness to all eligible students, employers should wait until after the closing date of the posting to contact those individuals who they wish to interview. All students should receive approval before they apply for a LUWSP-SS position. Qualified students will be provided with a personalized Confirmation of Eligibility and Hiring Form which should be submitted with their cover letter and resume or provided at the time of the interview.
To qualify for LUWSP-SS eligibility, students:
- Must currently be a full-time undergraduate student (fall & winter) or registered in a minimum 60% course load (40% course load for students with a permanent disability). Graduate students are ineligible.
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (international students are ineligible)
- Must have a minimum average of 60% in the previous academic year (high school, college or university)
- Must be returning as a full-time undergraduate OR graduate student in September 2020
- Must apply for eligibility via the MySuccess portal and receive approval (Confirmation of Eligibility and Hiring Form)
- Must attend the mandatory Student Worker Training & Orientation Workshop hosted by the Student Success Centre and Student Awards & Financial Aid
- Students must also meet one of the following conditions to demonstrate financial need during the 2019/20 academic year:
- have applied for and received OSAP or Out-of-Province student aid; or
- have applied for and received bursary assistance; or
- have been approved for eligibility for 2019/20 LUWSP-FW (fall/winter)
Students who do not currently attend Lakehead University are not eligible for the LUWSP-SS. Should a student resign from their LUWSP-SS position, re-hiring of that same student by another department or faculty is not permitted.
WHIMS (safety) training and AODA (accessibility standards) training are mandatory for all new employees. For more information, please contact Human Resources by telephone at (807) 343-8334, or via email at email@example.com.
- February 1-28 annually: Portal open to employers to submit a Job Posting request (deadline extended if positions available)
- March 1- May 17: Portal open to students to apply for eligibility for LUWSP-SS
- March 1 annually: Job postings live on portal.
- May 22: Final day to hire a student for a LUWSP-SS position (paperwork to HR)
- Work Term: April 20 – August 29, 2020 (19 weeks)