- Faculty & Staff Directory
- Helpdesk Ticket System
- Website Support
- Colleague - Web UI
- Forms Database
While generations of philosophy students have found the study of philosophy is its own reward and the source of a lifetime of intellectual pleasure, an education in philosophy will serve you well no matter where your professional life may lead.
With its emphasis on the development of reasoning skills, a background in philosophy is useful preparation in various professional fields, particularly law, journalism, health care, business and education. Many philosophy students combine their philosophy studies with that of other disciplines. The Philosophy Department offers double majors with English, French, History, Indigenous Learning, Political Studies, and Psychology.
The value of philosophy as a foundation for professional life is evident in the results of standardized graduate admission tests like the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), where philosophy students often outperform their peers from other disciplines in verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning and analytical writing (logic). Recently, philosophy students attained the highest GRE score amongst all disciplines in the verbal reasoning and analytical writing categories and the highest scores in quantitative reasoning of any students in a non-mathematical discipline.
The following selected articles offer insight into choosing an education in philosophy:
- New York Times "In a New Generation of College Students, Many Opt for the Life Examined."
- U.S. News and World Report "Learn Philosophy: The classic discipline can help with contemporary dilemmas and modern careers."
- The Globe and Mail "Arts graduates are best prepared for the unexpected."
- Yahoo Finance Blogspot Top/Best/Most "A philosophy degree earns more than an accounting degree."