The Ogimaawin Indigenous Education Council (OIEC) at Lakehead University was founded on the original Native Advisory Committee and constituted into its present form in response to the Ontario Ministry of Education and Training - Aboriginal Education and Training Strategy (AETS) in the early 1990s. AETS is an initiative to increase access for Indigenous students in Ontario's universities and colleges. OIEC membership consists of organizations from the surrounding Indigenous community that sit in an advisory capacity to the President's Office. The OIEC has representation on the Lakehead University Board of Governors, and Senate.
In alignment with the University’s Strategic and Academic Plans, the Ogimaawin Indigenous Education Council (OIEC), sharing the interests and concerns of the Indigenous communities, serves as an advisory council to the President and channel for communications between Indigenous peoples and the University respecting issues which affect Indigenous post-secondary education. Lakehead University acknowledges the history that many nations hold in the areas around our campuses, and is committed to a relationship with First Nations, Métis, and Inuit Peoples based on the principles of mutual trust, respect, and collaboration in the spirit of reconciliation. In the pursuit of its mission and mandate, the OIEC will be guided by principles related to honour, respect, responsibility, humility, and understanding.
Evolution of the OIEC
- 1987, the Academic Plan placed an emphasis on Aboriginal Initiatives.
- A Native Advisory Committee was established and several initiatives followed.
- In the early 1990s, the provincial government initiated the Aboriginal Education and Training Strategy.
- The Aboriginal Management Council was established.
- In 2011 the Aboriginal Management Council was renamed the Ogimaawin-Aboriginal Governance Council.
- In 2020 the Ogimaawin-Aboriginal Governance Council was renamed the Ogimaawin Indigenous Education Council.
If you require this information in a different format please contact the University Secretariat.