Geospatial Data Centre Technician
Carrillo, V. C., Heenkenda, M. K., Nelson, R., Sahota, T. S., & Serrano, L. S. (2022). Deep learning in land-use classification and geostatistics in soil pH mapping: A case study at Lakehead University Agricultural Research Station, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. Journal of Applied Remote Sensing, 16(3), 034519. https://doi.org/10.1117/1.JRS.16.034519
Randall, T., Kavalchuk, T., & Nelson, R. (2017). Metrics of Urban Sustainability: A Case Study of Changing Downtowns in Thunder Bay, Canada. Sustainability, 9(7), 1272. https://doi.org/10.3390/su9071272
Nelson, R. (2022, June 8). Visualization of GLSEA Lake Superior surface water temperature data employing PyQGIS, Inkscape, GIMP, ImageMagick, and Blender. [Online Presentation]. Twin-Cities MapServer Users Group (TCMUG) Meeting.
Nelson, R. & Randall, T. (2019, June 30). The importance of land-use diversification and intensification strategies: a case study of changing downtowns in Thunder Bay, Ontario. [Conference presentation]. Canadian Association of Geographers 2019 Convention, Winnipeg, MB, Canada.
Nelson, R. (2012, September 28-30). Application of a GIS-based decision support system for sidewalk building and maintenance in Thunder Bay, Ontario. [Conference presentation]. Canadian Association of Geographers – Prairie Division, Winkler, MB, Canada.
Includes, but not limited to:
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Cartography, Stereo imaging, 3D modelling and other spatial data visualization techniques.
- Urban geography - transportation networks, multi-modal networks, open streets, complete streets and people-oriented design.
Many of my hobbies reflect my interest in transportation geography, including:
- Cycling - mainly in the context of commuting, shopping, etc.
- Sailing - has mostly replaced my paddling adventures. We moved to Thunder Bay for Lake Superior.
- Walking - not something most people consider a hobby but I embrace it as a favourite pastime.
- Stereo Photography - long-standing member of the National Stereoscopic Association. Avid SLR and DSLR photographer.
- Technology - Photoshop/GIMP, Inkscape, QGIS, Blender, Wordpress, Stereophotomaker, Audacity.