- For Staff
- Faculty & Staff Directory
- Helpdesk Ticket System
- Website Support
- Colleague - Web UI
- Forms Database
As Canada’s aging population continues to grow at an unprecedented rate, the need for experts with advanced education in gerontology increases.
Interested in Gerontology?
According to the 2006 census:
- 13.7% of Canada’s population is aged 65+
- 15.8% of Northern Ontario’s population is aged 65+
- 16.0% of Thunder Bay’s population is aged 65+
By the year 2041, an estimated 25% of Canada’s population will be over the age of 65. www.CanadaCouncil.ca
Graduates will find employment opportunities in areas such as:
- Health and Social Programs
- Policy Development
What is Gerontology?
Gerontology, the study of aging, is dynamic and diverse; the interests and needs of an aging population are complex. Older people are concerned with a variety of subjects from social and financial issues to education and health care. In addition to understanding how seniors can maintain a healthy, active lifestyle, gerontologists are interested in issues such as learning, retirement, care giving, illness, employment, sexuality and coping strategies.
The Gerontology Program is Interdisciplinary and involves collaboration with the following academic departments:
- Social Work
- Women's Studies
- Public Health
Students experience an innovative, interdisciplinary learning perspective, have the opportunity to access multifaceted resources and work together with complementary disciplines.
What Programs are Offered?
We offer the following programs in Gerontology:
- BA (Gerontology Major)
- Honours BA (Gerontology & Psychology Majors)
- Honours BA (Gerontology & Women’s Studies Majors)
- Honours BA (Sociology) with Major Concentration in Gerontology
- HBSW with Major Concentration in Gerontology
- Minor Program in Gerontology
- Interdisciplinary Palliative Care Certificate Program
- Interdisciplinary Certificate in Dementia Studies
- Graduate Specialization in Gerontology
For up-to-date information about degree requirements, please see the Lakehead University Calendar.