Maria Grazia Viola
- Ph.D. University of Iowa, 2002
- HBSc. University of Rome II, 1993
- MATH 0212 FAO Quantitative Methods Social Sciences
- MATH 1151 FAO Calculus I Social & Life Sciences
- GEOG 2271 FAO Quantitative Methods in geography
- MATH 1152 WAO Calculus II Social & Life Sciences
- MATH 2255 WAO Linear Algebra I
2016 - present Associate Professor, Lakehead University Orillia
2014 - present Visiting researcher, Fields Institute, Toronto
2010 - 2015 Assistant Professor, Lakehead University Orillia
2008 - 2010 Assistant Professor, Limited term appointment, Lakehead University Orillia
2007 - 2008 Visiting researcher at the Fields Institute for the Operator Algebra program - Instructor at the University of Toronto Scarborough
2005 - 2007 Coleman Postdoctoral Fellow, Queen's University
2002 - 2005 Visiting Assistant Professor, Texas A & M University
I am interested in Von Neumann algebras, subfactors theory, free probability, classification of C*-algebras, planar algebras, and K-theory.
- N. C. Phillips and M. G. Viola, Classification of spatial Lp AF algebras.
- N. C. Phillips and M. G. Viola, A simple separable exact C*-algebra not anti-isomorphic to itself, Math. Ann. 355 (2013), 783-799.
- K. Dykema and M. G. Viola, Non-outer conjugate Zp2 -actions on free product factors, J. Operator Theory 57 (2007), 267-301.
- M. G. Viola, On a subfactor construction of a factor non-antiisomorphic to itself, International Journal of Mathematics vol. 15 No. 8 (2004), 833-854.
Supervision of High Qualified Personnel
Postdoctoral fellows: (co-mentored with G. Elliott at the University of Toronto and the Fields Institute)
Bhishan Jacelon (2016-present)
Qingyun Wang (2015-1016). Currently a postdoc at the University of Oregon.
Kun Wang (2014-2015). Currently a postdoc at Texas A&M University.
James Lutley, Ph.D. student at the University of Toronto, co-supervised with Dr. George Elliott. Expected to graduate in May 2017.
Workshop "Quantum Groups and Quantum Information Theory", held at Herstmonceux Castle, UK, July13-17 2015.
Organizer of the Canadian Math Kangaroo Contest at Lakehead University Orillia since 2014.
Co-organizer of the Canadian Math Kangaroo Contest at Lakehead University Thunder Bay in 2013-2014.