Dr. Charles Z. Levkoe
Canada Research Chair in Equitable and Sustainable Food Systems Associate Professor
- PhD, University of Toronto, 2014
- MES, York University, 2004
- BA, Hon., McMaster University, 1998
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Geography and Environmental Studies, Carleton University
- Adjunct Professor, School of the Environment, Queens University
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Geography and Planning, University of Toronto
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Geography and Environmental Management, University of Waterloo
- Research Associate, Centre for Sustainable Food Systems, Wilfrid Laurier University
- Co-Editor in Chief, Canadian Food Studies/Le Journal canadien des études sur l’alimentation
- Editorial Board, Social Movements, Institutions and Governance, Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems
- Publications Committee,Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences Awards to Scholarly Publications Program (ASPP)
- Editorial Committee, Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development
- Editorial Bord, Culinaria Book Series
My research uses a food systems lens to better understand the importance of, and connections between social justice, ecological regeneration, regional economies and active democratic engagement. Working directly with a range of scholars and community-based practitioners across North America and Europe, I study the evolution of the broader collective of social movement networks which views the right to food as a central component of more sustainable futures.
Mobilizing existing partnerships, I integrate my research and teaching through community engaged learning pedagogies and support students, community partners and scholars to be actively involved in knowledge cogeneration. Through community-based, action-oriented inquiry and teaching and the development of placed-based action projects, my research contributes to critical discussions that inform theory, civil society action and public policy.
I have also been involved in community food security and food sovereignty efforts for over 15 years and have worked as a community-based researcher, operated an organic farm and led programming with non-profit organizations across Canada and in the Middle East.
For more information on my research program see https://foodsystems.lakeheadu.ca
Watch this short clip about my research https://youtu.be/9RVh4PZZIes?feature=shared