Dr. Katherine Kortes-Miller
Palliative Care Division Lead - Centre for Education and Research on Aging and Health (CERAH) Assistant Professor
Palliative Care Division Lead - Centre for Education and Research on Aging and Health (CERAH)
+1 (807) 766-7204
Mon-Fri 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Taught the following courses at Lakehead University
- SOWK 1100 - Introduction to Social Welfare
- GERO 1100 - Aging in Canada
- SOWK/GERO 2010 - Introduction to Palliative Care
- SOWK 2011 - Foundations of Social Work Practice
- SOWK/GERO 3439 - Living with Grief and Loss
- SOWK 4300 - Theory of Social Work Practice
- SOWK 4401 - Theory of Social Work Practice II
- HESC 5035 - Qualitative Inquiry
- SOWK 5214 - Graduate Seminar
Palliative/End-of-Life Care, LGBTQ, Interprofessional Education and Care, Gerontology, LGBTQ+, Death Education, Grief and Loss
- Valuing the perspectives of LGBT older adults in Canada: An evidence based approach to developing inclusive research and policy agenda (Co-Investigator)
- Speaking Up and Speaking Out: A toolkit for healthcare professionals caring for older LGBT adults facing the end of their lives (Principle Investigator)
- Getting by with a little help from their friends: the role of support and care networks in moderating health inequalities among lesbian, gay, and bisexual older Canadians (Co-Applicant)
- Palliative Care for First Nations Communities: Supporting Capacity Development (Co-Applicant)
- Aging with HIV in Canada: Towards an understanding of psychosocial determinants to support health equity (Co-Investigator)
- Intersectionality & Aging: Planning a Way Forward to Improve Policies Related to Aging, Dementia and Mental Health (Co-Investigator)
- Wilson, K., Kortes-Miller, K. & Stinchcombe, A. (Accepted March 2017). Staying out of the closet: hopes and fears of LGBT older adults as they consider end-of-life. Canadian Journal on Aging.
- Stinchcombe, A., Smallbone, J., Wilson, K., & Kortes-Miller, K. (2017). Healthcare and End-of-Life Needs of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Older Adults: A Scoping Review. Geriatrics, 2(1), 13.
- Wilson, K., Stinchcombe, A., Kortes-Miller, K., & Enright, J. (2016) Support Needs of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Older Adults in the Health and Social Environment. Journal of Counselling and Spirituality. 35(1), 13-29.
- Vis, J. A., Ramsbottom, K., Marcella, J., McAnulty, J., Kelley, M. L., Kortes-Miller, K., & Jones-Bonofiglio, K. (2016). Developing and Implementing Peer-Led Intervention to Support Staff in Long-Term Care Homes Manage Grief. SAGE Open, 6(3), 2158244016665888.
- Kortes-Miller, K., Jones-Bonofiglio, K., Hendrickson, S. & Kelley, ML. (2015).Dying with Carolyn: Using Simulation to Improve Communication Skills of Unregulated Health Care Providers Working in Long Term Care. Journal of Applied Gerontology, DOI: 10.1177/0733464815577139
- Kortes-Miller, K. (2014).A Matter of Life and Death: Situating Death in Education. Canadian Journal of New Scholars in Education, 5(2). www.cjnse-rcjce.ca
- Kortes-Miller,K. (2013). Dying to Know: Thoughts on Death Education. Pathways, 26(1), 17-20.
- Kortes-Miller, K. (2013). Critical caring. Patient Education and Counseling, 93, 153-154.