Recreation & Leisure Services Diploma to Honours Bachelor of Outdoor Recreation Degree Transfer Program
Centrally located and surrounded by numerous accessible lakes, rivers and other picturesque natural features, Lakehead University's School of Outdoor Recreation, Parks & Tourism is the only one of its kind in Canada. Offering a unique integration of theoretical and applied perspectives, the program is extremely popular, and demands a significant level of commitment in addition to high standards of academic excellence. Our program includes practical study in all aspects of outdoor recreation, research on nature-based recreation, parks and tourism; activities from local to international scales, including Aboriginal and multi-cultural perspectives; and direct experience and interaction with practitioners. You will learn about leadership and independent critical thinking, social and environmental responsibilities, and recreational activities and leisure pursuits related to and dependent upon the natural environment.
How the Transfer Program Works
You enter into Year 2 of the four-year Honours Bachelor of Outdoor Recreation program, and can complete your degree in as little as three years.
To see the courses that are part of the program, refer to our Academic Calendar and select:
- Programs & Faculties from the menu,
- Undergraduate Programs from the Faculty of Social Sciences & Humanities section,
- Outdoor Recreation Programs from the list of programs, and the
- Honours Bachelor of Outdoor Recreation - Transfer - Georgian College Recreation and Leisure Services Diploma.
- Complete Georgian College's two-year Recreation & Leisure Services Diploma, and
- Achieve an overall average of at least 75%.
To apply, please:
- Use the Undergrad (105) application:
- You may need to create an account first, if you have never applied using the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC) before.
- Find more information on applying via the 105 application.
- Select the program Outdoor Recreation (Pathways with Select Ontario Colleges: Confederation, Dawson, Georgian, and Sault) (Thunder Bay Campus only). The OUAC program code is ABI.
- Select Outdoor Recreation Major (Thunder Bay) from the Subject of Major Interest drop-down menu.
- As you proceed through the application process, use the Online Transcript Request to have your transcript(s) sent to us, if applicable:
- We require all of your post-secondary transcripts (i.e. from all colleges and universities attended).
- We do not require your high school transcript.
- Some colleges do not add in progress courses to their transcripts. If you are currently completing courses, you are encouraged to upload a screenshot of your upcoming winter term courses to your myInfo account. You will receive your myInfo login credentials in an acknowledgement email from us upon receipt of your application (which can take a few days after you apply using the OUAC).
Who Can I Contact If I Need Assistance?
If you have questions about the transfer program, and/or your application status, contact Student Central.
If you encounter issues with the application and/or requesting online transcripts, contact the OUAC.
If you cannot access myInfo (our student information portal), try to recover your account first. If that does not work, contact Student Central.
Learn more about the fees (e.g. application, transcript, document evaluation, etc.) that the OUAC charges.
Learn more about the tuition & student fees for your transfer program. Keep in mind that the upcoming school year's fees are not available until June. Before June, you will most likely see last year's amounts. Refer to the Academic Year field if you are unsure.
To help fund your education, learn more about our scholarships, bursaries and awards.
If you are interested in applying for the Ontario Student Assistance Program, learn more about the program and its criteria.
Other Important Information
Take a look at our College & University Transfer Guide.
Check out our campus. You can take a virtual tour, or you can book a campus tour.
We also host numerous events throughout the year. We encourage you to attend one of our events to learn more about the transfer program.