If you are thinking about delaying the start of your studies, you may want to consider requesting a deferral to hold your spot.
A deferral of admission may be an option if you choose to delay your studies for a variety of reasons. If granted a deferral, you will put your Letter of Acceptance/ Offer of Admission on hold so you are able to return with ease. Not every program is eligible for a deferral. Refer to the FAQ below for a list of programs that are ineligible. Before you complete the request for a deferral form, ensure that you meet all of the following requirements:
- You have met all of your admission conditions on time.
- You accepted your Offer of Admission on time.
- You paid your non-refundable confirmation deposit on time.
- Your Letter of Acceptance/ Offer of Admission has not expired.
- You are not currently registered in courses at Lakehead University.
If you meet all five of the above requirements, please continue. To access our request for a deferral form, click here. You will need your myInfo username and password in order to access the form. If you cannot access myInfo, try using the "Recover my account" tool.
When will I know if my request for a deferral was approved? Deferral requests are reviewed on a rolling basis. Once we reach a decision, we will inform you via email.
My request for a deferral was approved. When will I receive my new Letter of Acceptance/ Offer of Admission? We will issue a new Letter of Acceptance/ Offer of Admission once we start accepting applications for the entry point you selected. For example, your new Letter of Acceptance/ Offer of Admission for Fall 2020 entry will be available in October of 2019 (i.e. when we start accepting applications for Fall 2020 entry).
Why was my request for a deferral denied? You did not satisfy all of the above requirements. All deferral decisions are final. If you are interested in attending Lakehead at a later time, please reapply for admission consideration once the application opens for your desired entry point.
What programs are ineligible for a deferral? The following programs are ineligible:
- All Engineering programs including the Common Year in Applied Science,
- All LU/Georgian degree and diploma programs,
- All Music programs,
- All Nursing programs,
- All Visual Arts programs
- Juris Doctor,
- One-Year Honours Bachelor of Social Work, and
- Year Three Honours Bachelor of Social Work.