Aboriginal Community Advocacy Diploma to Honours Bachelor of Arts (Indigenous Learning major) Degree Transfer Program

Program Information

Indigenous Learning is the study of Indigenous history, culture and values and strives to increase awareness/appreciation of the life experience of Indigenous Peoples with a view to creating an environment of understanding and trust amongst all Peoples. The Indigenous Learning Program attracts a wide cross section of students, many of whom come to Lakehead University specifically for the Indigenous Learning Program. Students interested in Indigenous Learning at Lakehead University will learn to survey construction, to analyse census data, archival research, and to examine government records.

How the Transfer Program Works

You enter into Year 2 of the four-year Honours Bachelor of Arts (Indigenous Learning major) program, and can complete your degree in as little as three years. 

To see the courses that are part of the program, refer to our Academic Calendar and select:

  1. Programs & Faculties from the menu,
  2. Undergraduate Programs from the Faculty of Social Sciences & Humanities section, 
  3. Indigenous Learning Programs from the list of programs, and the
  4. Honours BA (Indigenous Learning Major) Transfer Program

Admission Requirements

To be consider for admission, you must:

  • Complete Confederation College's two-year Aboriginal Community Advocacy Diploma, and
  • Achieve an overall average of at least 70%.  

Application Process

To apply, please:

  1. Use the OUAC Undergraduate Application: You may need to create an account first, if you have never applied using the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC) before.
  2. Select the program Indigenous Learning (Pathway with Confederation College) (Thunder Bay Campus only). The OUAC program code is ABQ.
  3. As you proceed through the application process, use the Online Transcript Request, to have your transcript(s) sent to us, if applicable: 
    1. We require all of your post-secondary transcripts (i.e. from all colleges and universities attended).
    2. We do not require your high school transcript.
    3. Some colleges do not add in progress courses to their transcripts. If you are currently completing courses, you are encouraged to upload a screenshot of your upcoming winter term courses to your myInfo account. You will receive your myInfo login credentials in an acknowledgement email from us upon receipt of your application (which can take a few days after you apply using the OUAC). 

Who Can I Contact If I Need Assistance?

If you have questions about the transfer program, and/or your application statuscontact Student Central.  

If you encounter issues with the application and/or requesting online transcripts, contact the OUAC

If you cannot access myInfo (our student information portal), try to recover your account first. If that does not work, contact Student Central.  


Learn more about the fees (e.g. application, transcript, document evaluation, etc.) that the OUAC charges

Learn more about the tuition & student fees for your transfer program. Keep in mind that the upcoming school year's fees are not available until June. Before June, you will most likely see last year's amounts. Refer to the Academic Year field if you are unsure.  

To help fund your education, learn more about our scholarships, bursaries and awards

If you are interested in applying for the Ontario Student Assistance Program, learn more about the program and its criteria

Other Important Information

Take a look at our College & University Transfer Guide

Check out our campus. You can take a virtual tour, or you can book a campus tour

We also host numerous events throughout the year. We encourage you to attend one of our events to learn more about the transfer program.