Police Foundations Diploma to Honours Bachelor of Arts (Sociology major) Degree Transfer Program
Explore the major ideas and insights of the founders of sociology, as well as contemporary thinkers who examine present-day social life. Master the essentials of social research - how to design questionnaires and carry out meaningful surveys, collect and analyze quantitative, qualitative, and historical data, and conduct participant-observation and interviews. Apply these skills to study and better understand numerous topics and issues in social life that interest you. Lakehead's faculty are engaged in research in areas as diverse as health and illness, gerontology, gender and work, media and popular culture, the sociology of knowledge, sociological theory, sociology of the North, and global social change.
How the Transfer Program Works
You enter into Year 2 of the four-year Honours Bachelor of Arts (Sociology major) program, and can complete your degree in as little as three years (two years if you select the Bachelors option instead of the Honours route).
To see the courses that are part of the program, refer to our Academic Calendar and select:
- Programs & Faculties from the menu,
- Undergraduate Programs from the Faculty of Social Sciences & Humanities section,
- Sociology Programs from the list of programs, and the
- Honours BA (Sociology Major).
- Do not refer to the Honours BA (Sociology Major) Transfer Program entry.
- For the Bachelors route, select BA (Sociology Major) instead of Honours BA (Sociology Major).
To be consider for admission, you must:
- Complete Confederation College's two-year Police Foundations Diploma, and
- Achieve an overall average of at least 70%.
To apply, please:
- Use the Undergrad (105) application:
- You may need to create an account first, if you have never applied using the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC) before.
- Find more information on applying via the 105 application.
- Select the program Sociology (Pathways with Confederation College) (Thunder Bay Campus only). The OUAC program code is ABK.
- Select your program and campus of choice from the Subject of Major Interest drop-down menu.
- For the Bachelors route, select the entry that contains "(BA)" in the title.
- As you proceed through the application process, use the Online Transcript Request to have your transcript(s) sent to us, if applicable:
- We require all of your post-secondary transcripts (i.e. from all colleges and universities attended).
- We do not require your high school transcript.
- Some colleges do not add in progress courses to their transcripts. If you are currently completing courses, you are encouraged to upload a screenshot of your upcoming winter term courses to your myInfo account. You will receive your myInfo login credentials in an acknowledgement email from us upon receipt of your application (which can take a few days after you apply using the OUAC).
Who Can I Contact If I Need Assistance?
If you have questions about the transfer program, and/or your application status, contact Student Central.
If you encounter issues with the application and/or requesting online transcripts, contact the OUAC.
If you cannot access myInfo (our student information portal), try to recover your account first. If that does not work, contact Student Central.
Learn more about the fees (e.g. application, transcript, document evaluation, etc.) that the OUAC charges.
Learn more about the tuition & student fees for your transfer program. Keep in mind that the upcoming school year's fees are not available until June. Before June, you will most likely see last year's amounts. Refer to the Academic Year field if you are unsure.
To help fund your education, learn more about our scholarships, bursaries and awards.
If you are interested in applying for the Ontario Student Assistance Program, learn more about the program and its criteria.
Other Important Information
Take a look at our College & University Transfer Guide.
Check out our campus. You can take a virtual tour, or you can book a campus tour.
We also host numerous events throughout the year. We encourage you to attend one of our events to learn more about the transfer program.