Primary - Junior (JK - Grade 6)
Offered at the Thunder Bay Campus and Orillia Campus
Preference will be given to those applicants who present a university level course back ground in at least three core curriculum subjects taught in the Primary-Junior grades such as:
- Health and Physical Education
- Native Languages
- Visual Arts
Primary-Junior students are required to demonstrate mathematics proficiency in Education 0450 (Mathematics Competency Exam, Primary-Junior). Students may write the exam in September and, if unsuccessful, again in March. Students must pass the competency exam at the 75% level to pass Education 0450 in order to successfully complete the Bachelor of Education and be recommended for teacher certification in the Province of Ontario. Students who do not pass Education 0450 may only repeat the course once, and this must be in the following academic year. A grade of “Pass” or “Fail” will appear on the student transcript for each registration in the course. Again, if unsuccessful in September a second and final attempt may be written in March.
For additional information about this requirement, please visit the Faculty of Education.
Please Note: Applicants to the Primary-Junior division do not choose teaching subjects.
Intermediate - Senior (Grades 7 - 12)
Offered at the Thunder Bay Campus Only
Two (2) teaching subjects must be selected in application to the Intermediate-Senior division. Please review the teaching subject table for a full listing of teaching subjects available at Lakehead University. Applicants are required to present:
- Five (5) full year courses, or the equivalent, in the first teaching subject, and;
- Three (3) full year courses, or the equivalent, in the second teaching subject.
- At least one relevant half-credit course at the upper-year level (third or fourth year) in that discipline is required in both the first and second teaching subject
Note: the following teaching subjects have additional requirements:
- For the teaching subject Computer Science, a recognized degree in Computer Science is required
- For the teaching subject French as a Second Language, five (5) full year courses, or the equivalent, are required for both the first and second teaching subject.
- For the teaching subject Health & Physical Education, a recognized degree in Kinesiology or Physical Education is required for the first teaching subject.
- For the teaching subject Music-Instrumental and Music -Vocal, a recognized undergraduate degree in Music is required.
- For the teaching subject Visual Arts, a recognized undergraduate degree in Visual Arts is required for both the first and second teaching subject.