ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT, Department of Computer Science, Competition # COPE-22-14, Thunder Bay, ON
Department of Computer Science
Full time, Permanent
COPE, Level 6 (Under Review)
Competition # COPE-22-14
Reporting to the Department Chair, the Administrative Assistant is the first point of contact for the Department of Computer Science, and provides an approachable, confidential, and professional support to faculty, staff, students and members of the community. The Administrative Assistant is responsible for providing administrative support to the Department of Computer Science and acts as a liaison between students, staff, and other University departments.
● Handling and preparing sensitive/confidential materials;
● Respond to walk-in/phone/email enquiries from faculty, staff, students, and the general public;
● Timetable representative for both campuses: provide scheduling information for course and
● Type memos, letters, prepare various forms such as Employee Information Forms and
Part-time Academic Forms, cheque requisitions, etc.;
● Organizing meetings, preparing agendas and minutes, and producing and disseminating of
meeting material, will be required as needed.
● Provide guidelines/policies relevant to all students' needs (e.g. prerequisites, course
overloads, student applications to federal funding agencies) or provide directions for
● Keep track of undergraduate and graduate student timelines to help them to fulfill their
program requirements in a timely manner;
● Distribute, explain the process, and collect student course evaluations and maintain confidentiality
of the students' comments;
● Gather and process material for faculty Promotion/Tenure/Renewal applications and Merit
Award applications in a confidential manner;
● Book rooms for seminars, events, and meetings through Scheduling office/MyInfo portal update
and maintain Computer Science social media pages Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc.;
● Collaborate with Student Success Centre for student co-op and job placements develop
promotional material for the department;
● update and maintain Computer Science social media pages Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc.;
● Post-secondary education along with at least 2 years of administrative assistant experience;
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite is required;
● Proficiency with software such as LaTeX and Adobe Photoshop is preferred;
● Ability to adapt and learn new systems and software as required;
● Proficiency with Mac, and PC using Windows 10 Professional;
● Exceptional organizational, time management, interpersonal and communication skills;
● Ability to multitask a variety of high priority duties and work under pressure of deadlines;
● Ability to work with minimal supervision;
● Strong capacity for independent judgement;
●Ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail;
● Ability to work with sensitive information and handle all office duties in a confidential manner.
A full job fact sheet is available from Human Resources.
Interested applicants are invited to apply by submitting a single PDF document quoting competition # COPE-22-14 containing a cover letter and resume by 4:30 p.m. on July 29, 2022 to:
Office of Human Resources
We appreciate your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be notified.
Lakehead University is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals including women, racialized persons, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and other equity-seeking groups. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. This is in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements.
Lakehead University is committed to supporting an accessible environment. Applicants requiring accommodation during the interview process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (807) 343.8334 or email@example.com to make appropriate arrangements.